Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Justice League Dark aka Dark Universe

Links to our threads on other DC Cinematic Universe films Man of Steel (2013), Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Suicide Squad (2016), Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League (2017), Aquaman (2018) and Wonder Woman 2 (2019), as well as the in-development Flashpoint, Shazam!, Black Adam, Cyborg, Green Lantern, Nightwing, Batgirl and Gotham City Sirens movies and the not-yet-dated Superman, Batman and Justice League sequels.

Link to our thread on Constantine (2005), which already featured one of these characters.

- - -

Guillermo del Toro is in talks for a Justice League Dark movie!
Rumors have been devouring the Internet for the past week or so about a new project that Guillermo del Toro could be directing: a movie teaming up DC Comics' dark supernatural characters. Sort of like DC's Justice League Dark comic. At first, the rumor was debunked — but then del Toro himself said he was interested in doing it.
And just now, we spoke to del Toro, and he confirmed that he's in talks about making a movie about the characters from the dark side of DC.
Last week, the rumor swirled that del Toro could be directing a film called Heaven Sent, teaming up all of the great DC Comics supernatural characters, like Deadman, the Spectre, Swamp Thing, John Constantine, Phantom Stranger, Zatanna, Zatara, Sargon and Etrigan the Demon. There were rights issues involving some of these characters (notably Swamp Thing and Constantine, both of whom had starred in their own films) but del Toro was trying to work it out. After the rumor was debunked, del Toro popped up on his website to say "I denied being involved in JLA but this [Heaven Sent] I would love to do!" . . .
We took the opportunity to ask del Toro about the rumored Heaven Sent film — what kind of dynamic would the Spectre and John Constantine and Zatanna have together, on film? And he said:
I am talking to DC and Warners about tackling the 'Dark universe' characters, but we're not calling it [Heaven Sent]. I don't know where this title came from. We have a very concrete storyline that I'm proposing — but it's still very, very early days.
We responded that we love the Spectre and Constantine and the Phantom Stranger, and we'd love to see them on screen. He replied, "[Plus] Deadman. They're great characters. I relate to them because they are supernatural monsters, first and foremost." He said there are real conversations taking place about this project, but "it's way early days." . . .
io9.com, November 9

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

{Exclusive} Scott Rudin To Produce “Justice League Dark” With Plans To Shoot In 2016
Despite the departure of Guillermo Del Toro, it’s now apparent that the JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK adaptation, otherwise known as DARK UNIVERSE, is moving forward under the guide of Scott Rudin. Del Toro is still staying on as a producer, though he’ll no longer direct.
Sources confirm that Rudin is moving quickly on this one, making updates to the script and approaching directors. The project is now a priority for Warner Bros., with our sources also reporting that the studio is looking to shoot the superhero team-up film in 2016. . . .
The group established in Dark Universe will separately co-exist with the main Justice League team, much like how Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy operate individually from the Avengers. Though, the plan is to eventually bridge the worlds and plant Dark Universe members in other DC titles. . . .
The Tracking Board, October 8