Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Deliver Us from Evil (2014)

The first time I met Scott, sometime in 2003 or 2004, he mentioned that he had done some work for Bruckheimer. Was this it, I wonder? smile.png

- - -

Bruckheimer to produce 'Beware the Night'
In a change of pace from its recent output of four-quadrant blockbusters, Jerry Bruckheimer Films will produce "Beware the Night," a paranormal police thriller from director Scott Derrickson ("Sinister") that Eric Bana is in negotiations to topline.
Story follows a New York cop who investigates demonic possessions, exorcisms and other supernatural occurences. . . .
Derrickson is a hot commodity as a filmmaker, as his low-budget horror pic "Sinister" has grossed nearly $50 million Stateside. He and Boardman co-wrote Atom Egoyan's West Memphis 3 movie "Devil's Knot," which stars Colin Firth and Reese Witherspoon. In addition to working on remakes of several horror classics, Derrickson is attached to direct "Goliath" for Relativity Media and Temple Hill, as well as Blumhouse's adaptation of Stephen King's "The Breathing Method." . . .
Variety, November 12

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Remakes of several horror classics? Hmmmmm...

I look forward to learning more about this one...

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

The first time I met Scott, sometime in 2003 or 2004, he mentioned that he had done some work for Bruckheimer. Was this it, I wonder? smile.png

- - -

Bruckheimer to produce 'Beware the Night'

In a change of pace from its recent output of four-quadrant blockbusters, Jerry Bruckheimer Films will produce "Beware the Night," a paranormal police thriller from director Scott Derrickson ("Sinister") that Eric Bana is in negotiations to topline.

Story follows a New York cop who investigates demonic possessions, exorcisms and other supernatural occurences. . . .

Derrickson is a hot commodity as a filmmaker, as his low-budget horror pic "Sinister" has grossed nearly $50 million Stateside. He and Boardman co-wrote Atom Egoyan's West Memphis 3 movie "Devil's Knot," which stars Colin Firth and Reese Witherspoon. In addition to working on remakes of several horror classics, Derrickson is attached to direct "Goliath" for Relativity Media and Temple Hill, as well as Blumhouse's adaptation of Stephen King's "The Breathing Method." . . .

Variety, November 12

Yes it was.

Remakes of several horror classics? Hmmmmm...

I look forward to learning more about this one...

I'm not remaking any horror classics that I'm aware of...

In eternity this world will be Troy, I believe, and all that has passed here will be the epic of the universe, the ballad they sing in the streets. -- Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson

So...the writer was making stuff up...this is a new developement in film journalism, isn't it? ;)

Anyways...I find the concept of Beware the Night intriguing...

Not only that, but twice @thewrap "broke" a story about the movie, and each time said the movie was in part about werewolves. Sorry, no werewolves.

In eternity this world will be Troy, I believe, and all that has passed here will be the epic of the universe, the ballad they sing in the streets. -- Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson

Not only that, but twice @thewrap "broke" a story about the movie, and each time said the movie was in part about werewolves. Sorry, no werewolves.

Are you sure you don't want do reconsider that? Werewolves are huge these days. Even better if there's a sexy werewolf that falls in love with a zombie vampire.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I once read a script about a group of anorexic/bulemic high school girls who became zombies. It was called Munchies. Best line it in: "You go ghoul!"

That wasn't an early Joss Whedon script, was it? ;)

Edgar Ramirez! Nice. I wonder if his priest is he same character he played in THE COUNSELOR.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Link to our thread on Amy Berg's film.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

We have a trailer.  

That's one spooky owl.  I noticed its spookiness in an earlier shot, even before it started moving.  Also.  The cinematography and colours really stood out for me in this.

Anybody doing the press junket this weekend?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Darrel Manson wrote:

: Anybody doing the press junket this weekend?

I was going to, until the studio moved it by a day. Finding childcare for today, when most of my kids were in school for most of the day, was not that hard. Finding childcare for Saturday, when my wife is at work all day -- and at such short notice -- simply wasn't possible. (Finding childcare for Friday was no problem whatsoever -- indeed, I didn't even have to do it -- because my wife isn't working that day.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The New York Times has a profile of the real-life Ralph Sarchie (i.e. the Eric Bana character), and mentions that there is a connection of sorts between his work and the work of Ed & Lorraine Warren, who were depicted in A Haunting in Connecticut (2002) and The Conjuring (2013) and were also involved in the original case that got turned into The Amityville Horror (1979-2005).

What has happened with this film? In my market, we received word that the talent might be available for interviews, etc., ahead of the film's release, and we were to express interest so the PR company would know whether or not to schedule something. I don't know if they ever did. I never replied to the request because I wasn't assigned to see the film. 

Yesterday I got the assignment, but then read an SDG tweet that a scheduled interview in his market had been canceled. 

Today D.C. critics received word that the film would screen in D.C. only Tuesday afternoon before the film's Wednesday opening. I can't see it then, so I lost the assignment.

Is the film being treated to only day-before-release screenings in other markets? Maybe religious press all saw it at earlier junkets? I'm surprised the studio would slate the film for July 4 weekend and then not screen it earlier than the day before opening.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Christian wrote:

: Is the film being treated to only day-before-release screenings in other markets?

The Vancouver press screening is Monday morning, i.e. two days before release. Though that might be partly because Tuesday is our national holiday, and no press screenings would be possible then.