If you buy used books...

and I do, a good online site is betterworldbooks.com. (My book addiction can't afford Amazon all new, all the time. :) A lot of their used books are under $4.00, shipping is free, and they constantly run sales on their bargin bin books. Currently, buy 4 used books that ships from them--not another seller--and get 30% off your order. Also, when you buy a book they donate a book to someone in need--usually overseas, I think.

I use them all of the time for older books and books that are out-of-print. Newer books I buy new, so the author gets paid for his work. Yes, I'm torn about buying used books, but it really helped out during school when I had to buy 12-14 books per semester. (I mark my books up, so the library wasn't an option.)

Next to the library, it's a good resource.

I like to say that I practice militant mysticism. I'm really absolutely sure of some things that I don't quite know.~~Rob Bell April/09 CT

http://whythewritingworks.com

Wow. Thank you for pointing this out. I'll probably be using this site a lot.

I don't think one needs to feel guilty about buying used books. As I see it, that's just one of the advantages to paper books over their digital equivalents. And if you do so at a brick-and-mortar used bookstore (the best way of doing it, and often a great way to find bargains), you're supporting a wonderful kind of business that needs all the help it can get in this day and age. I once saw a photo article showing a series of bookstores with "going out of business" signs in the windows. It was heartbreaking.