Oscars 2013: Best Visual Effects

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The shortlist:

• “The Amazing Spider-Man”
  • “Cloud Atlas”
  • “The Dark Knight Rises”
  • “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey”
  • “John Carter”
  • “Life of Pi”
  • “Marvel’s The Avengers”
  • “Prometheus”
  • “Skyfall”
  • “Snow White and the Huntsman”

Any conspicuous omissions here?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominees (just the non-animated feature-film categories included here):

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Feature Motion Picture

• The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  • Prometheus
  • Life of Pi
  • The Avengers
  • Battleship

Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Feature Motion Picture
  • Rust and Bones
  • The Impossible
  • Argo
  • Flight
  • Zero Dark Thirty

Outstanding Animated Character in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
  • The Hobbit: Goblin King
  • The Hobbit: Gollum
  • The Avengers: The Hulk
  • Life of Pi: Richard Parker

Outstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
  • The Hobbit: Goblin Caverns
  • Prometheus: LV-233
  • The Avengers: Midtown Manhattan
  • Life of Pi: Open Ocean

Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
  • The Avengers : Downtown Manhattan
  • Total Recall: Hover Car Chase
  • The Amazing Spider-Man

Outstanding Models in a Feature Motion Picture
  • The Avengers: Helicarrier
  • The Impossible: Orchid Hotel
  • Men in Black 3: Cape Canaveral/ Apollo Launch
  • The Dark Knight Rises: Airplane Heist

Outstanding FX and Simulation Animation in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
  • Life of Pi: Storm of God
  • Battleship
  • Life of Pi: Ocean

Outstanding Compositing in a Feature Motion Picture
  • Life of Pi : Storm of God
  • The Avengers: Hulk Punch
  • Prometheus: Engineers & the Orrery

So, basically, The Hobbit has 7 nominations in 6 categories, The Avengers has 6 nominations, Life of Pi has 6 nominations in 5 categories, Prometheus has 3 nominations, Battleship and The Impossible have 2 nominations each, and The Amazing Spider-Man, Argo, The Dark Knight Rises, Flight, Men in Black 3, Rust and Bone, Total Recall and Zero Dark Thirty have 1 nomination each.

Six of the ten films on the Oscar shortlist are included here; those titles are in bold. Four films on the Oscar shortlist did *not* get any VES nominations, namely Cloud Atlas, John Carter, Skyfall and Snow White and the Huntsman.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Vote!

And, note: The four films with the most Visual Effects Society nominations all got Oscar nods, and so did Snow White and the Huntsman, which did not get *any* VES nominations.

This will be the one category for which I will abstain from voting. How The Impossible did not receive a nomination here is beyond me. The Avengers, Prometheus and The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey are pretty much all "been there done that" examples of SPFX, with a few new wrinkles, but nothing that made me wonder how the effects were accomplished. The effects in The Impossible had my jaw dropping, and my stomach in knots. It makes me want to seek out the eventual issue of Cinefex that will go behind the scenes.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Agreed re: lack on nomination for The Impossible!

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Unbelievable. I have a hard time with The Avengers, Prometheus, and Snow White and the Huntsman being nominated if The Impossible was not.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 1 month later...
The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominees . . .

So, basically, The Hobbit has 7 nominations in 6 categories, The Avengers has 6 nominations, Life of Pi has 6 nominations in 5 categories, Prometheus has 3 nominations, Battleship and The Impossible have 2 nominations each, and The Amazing Spider-Man, Argo, The Dark Knight Rises, Flight, Men in Black 3, Rust and Bone, Total Recall and Zero Dark Thirty have 1 nomination each.

And the winners are...

Life of Pi

• Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Feature Motion Picture
  • Outstanding Animated Character in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
  • Outstanding FX and Simulation Animation in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
  • Outstanding Compositing in a Feature Motion Picture

Marvel's The Avengers
  • Outstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture
  • Outstanding Models in a Feature Motion Picture

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  • Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture

The Impossible
  • Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Feature Motion Picture