Sign in to follow this  
kebbie

calvin college festival of faith and music 2005

The second bi-annual Festival of Faith and Music is scheduled for April 1 and 2, 2005. Not sure if anyone made it in 2003, but I have a feeling lots of you would love it.

We're not doing anything yet as far as registration, but just thought you'd like a look at what's on the docket so far.

David Dark will be providing keynote lectures on Friday and Saturday night. Tentatively scheduled to lead workshops are Albert Pedulla, Jan Krist, and Sufjan Stevens.

We'll be adding to this list over the next few months, as well as filling in slots for Friday evening's headliner concert and Saturday's short sets.

your friendly neighborhood calvin gal,

kate

i'm sending out registration info over the next few days--email me (keb6 at calvin dot edu) with your address if you're interested!

I'm curious, Kebbie: What are the criteria for inviting particular artists to Calvin's festival? A profession of faith on the artist's part? Something more specific?

I love Jan Krist. I drove three hours to see her in Pennsylvania a few years ago, where she was the second of three acts -- behind some band of local teenagers who were considered the "big draw" of the evening. Sad but true.

At one point, she had to stop because those in the audience who were there for the headliners felt free to converse while Krist and her husband played. Krist stopped playing and prefaced her remarks by telling a story about Emmylou Harris, who once told a bar full of bikers to shut up before continuing her set (or so Krist recounted the story). "So, if you're going to keep talking, please go out to the lobby," she told the chatty members of the audience. "Plenty of people paid to hear me sing tonight, not to listen to your conversations."

Like I said, I love Jan Krist.

I'm curious, Kebbie: What are the criteria for inviting particular artists to Calvin's festival? A profession of faith on the artist's part? Something more specific?

mainly, we look for artists who are professing christians, but who are working outside of the contemporary christian music industry. the festival is as much about musicians in conversation with one another and with like-minded audiences as it is about performance. someone like bruce cockburn is the patron saint of FFM. smile.gif

but because that particular pool of talent is a limited resource, and we don't want to showcase david bazan year after year after year, we're considering expanding to include artists who have some sort of christian faith influence in their music. for instance, we're talking with gift of gab, MC of blackalicious, about headlining this year. he's not an evangelical per se, but he's on the vanguard of positive, truth-telling hip hop (a genre we don't feature enough here at calvin).

i've never heard jan krist, but i'm looking forward to meeting her this year. i hear good things. smile.gif

Now that we know Wahlberg's a believer, maybe he'd reprise some of his New Kids on the Block numbers for ya! biggrin.gif

for instance, we're talking with gift of gab, MC of blackalicious, about headlining this year. he's not an evangelical per se, but he's on the vanguard of positive, truth-telling hip hop (a genre we don't feature enough here at calvin).

Gift Of Gab and Sufjan Stevens?!? w00t.gif

Gift Of Gab and Sufjan Stevens?!? w00t.gif

i know!!! maybe they'll collaborate... sufjan's banjo, gab's beats. imagine the possibilities!

however, i make no promises. gab or no gab, it will be a good weekend.

send me your mailing addresses, people!

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: Now that we know Wahlberg's a believer, maybe he'd reprise some of his New

: Kids on the Block numbers for ya!

Oh, is Donnie Wahlberg a believer, too? wink.gif

Not sure why I know the difference between NKotB and Marky Mark, but I do.

The first Festival of Faith and Music was in 2003, and we now have photos online from that conference. Paste magazine execs... Daniel Smith leading worship... Bergquist and Stockman and Bazan, oh my!

This year's concert and workshop schedule are now available, too. Although Gift of Gab has since been moved to later in the month (April 9), there's still a possibility that Patty Griffin will be headlining.

Register... you know you want to...

Guest thom_jurek
i'm sending out registration info over the next few days--email me (keb6 at calvin dot edu) with your address if you're interested!

This one's practically in my backyard--if my backyard was an hour and a half away. Any chance I can get a press pass and do a preview/feature for a Michigan outlet (Metro Times, Ann Arbor Paper, etc?)

Best,

Thom Jurek

This one's practically in my backyard--if my backyard was an hour and a half away. Any chance I can get a press pass and do a preview/feature for a Michigan outlet (Metro Times, Ann Arbor Paper, etc?)

Best,

Thom Jurek

Uh, YEAH! Let me talk with my boss on Monday. We'd love to have someone do a feature on it. I'll let you know the verdict.

Guest thom_jurek

Best,

Thom Jurek

Uh, YEAH! Let me talk with my boss on Monday. We'd love to have someone do a feature on it. I'll let you know the verdict.

Thank you!