Sign in to follow this  
SDG

Star Trek: The Next Generation

CrimsonLine wrote:

: The one three-second bit that wasn't remastered stood out like a sore thumb . . .

Hey, I think I know the three-second bit you mean! Any idea *why* it wasn't remastered?

FWIW, I thought a lot of the footage shot on the bridge suffered from... not sure what the technical term is... but artifacting or ghosting or some weird thing around the edges between the actors and their backgrounds. I remember noticing this on multiple occasions -- but only during bridge scenes. The rest of the episode seemed fine enough to me.

: The gag reel was AWESOME.

I *loved* how deadpan and silent Michael Dorn was even *after* he flubbed the line that begins with "I've never played with..."

: I liked, in the documentary that preceded the episode, the idea that BOBW was a turning-point for the Picard character - making him more human. I had not thought of it that way before.

I wasn't following the show at the time, and my knowledge of the first four seasons is still pretty spotty -- but I believe the first episode *after* 'The Best of Both Worlds' showed Picard interacting with his brother's family while the Enterprise is being repaired etc., yes? I imagine that might have gone some way towards humanizing Picard, too.

: Of course, BOBW is first and foremost a Riker episode, and Jonathan Frakes shines in it.

Definitely!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

CrimsonLine wrote:

: The one three-second bit that wasn't remastered stood out like a sore thumb . . .

Hey, I think I know the three-second bit you mean! Any idea *why* it wasn't remastered?

Yes, that was the only clip they could not find original negatives for. The "remastering" process is going back to the original film elements, even with the special FX sequences. Despite a ton of searching, that three seconds in the Battle Bridge seems to be lost entirely.

: The gag reel was AWESOME.

I *loved* how deadpan and silent Michael Dorn was even *after* he flubbed the line that begins with "I've never played with..."

Dorn seemed to be in character ALL THE TIME.

: I liked, in the documentary that preceded the episode, the idea that BOBW was a turning-point for the Picard character - making him more human. I had not thought of it that way before.

I wasn't following the show at the time, and my knowledge of the first four seasons is still pretty spotty -- but I believe the first episode *after* 'The Best of Both Worlds' showed Picard interacting with his brother's family while the Enterprise is being repaired etc., yes? I imagine that might have gone some way towards humanizing Picard, too.

"Family" was one of the most surprising episodes of TNG for me. It took place almost entirely on Earth, and was a wonderful character piece. You're right, it did go a long way to humanizing Picard - and it was also the first taste that Trek on TV had of events having an ongoing impact on the characters. Picard's assimilation by the Borg mattered, and mattered for a long time. DS9 would take that concept of events having an impact later on, and build a whole series around it, and it's what makes DS9 my favorite Trek series of all. But BOBW and its aftermath was the beginning of that, for Trek.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

DS9 would take that concept of events having an impact later on, and build a whole series around it, and it's what makes DS9 my favorite Trek series of all.

I'm rewatching DS9, too, and it's been long enough that I'd forgotten a lot of what happens. One thing that really stands out to me is how they're willing to build episodes and arcs around minor characters (Garak, Ziyal, Martok, Dukat, Nog, etc.), and also how those smaller stories feed into the bigger arc of the series. I'm starting to wonder if DS9 might be better than Battlestar.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I'm starting to wonder if DS9 might be better than Battlestar.

*pokes head in; does the Babylon 5 dance*

A dance that only uses the head?

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I'm watching DS9 right now and I'm liking it a lot more than Battlestar. I really enjoyed the first couple of seasons, but as the show develops, DS9 does a much better job of exploring its ideas than I think Battlestar ever did. The themes of terrorism and war-making feel a lot more complex than Battlestar that tries to force evolution into something more complex that I never bought when it got into the occupation era of the show. Also, I think DS9 just has a better realized cast of characters, or at least characters I find more interesting to watch.

DS9 would take that concept of events having an impact later on, and build a whole series around it, and it's what makes DS9 my favorite Trek series of all.

I'm rewatching DS9, too, and it's been long enough that I'd forgotten a lot of what happens. One thing that really stands out to me is how they're willing to build episodes and arcs around minor characters (Garak, Ziyal, Martok, Dukat, Nog, etc.), and also how those smaller stories feed into the bigger arc of the series. I'm starting to wonder if DS9 might be better than Battlestar.

I think DS9 *is* a better show than Battlestar Galactica. I'll admit I'm biased toward the heroic - I'm a Superman fan, for crying out loud - but DS9 has fully-rounded characters that still embrace nobility, honor, and the good, even while struggling against their own evil and darkness. DS9 gives us characters from a variety of cultures - not just humans and Cylons, but a wide array - humans, Ferengi, Cardassian, Bajoran, Founders, Vorta, Jem'Hadar - and delineates the commonalities and differences between them. Heck, it CELEBRATES the commonalities and differences between them. DS9 is the show Trek always wanted to be.

For the record, I liked BSG a lot, and own the series on DVD. So I'm not slamming that show at all. But DS9 was the better show.

Oh, and I've only seen a little Babylon 5. I tried the first season, and could never really get into it.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Oh, and I've only seen a little Babylon 5. I tried the first season, and could never really get into it.

Dude. That's like saying you tried the first season of TNG and couldn't get into it. Try the second season.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

I love that this video includes the boy Picard from 'Rascals'.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.