Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Movies about Waiting, Anticipation

Monday night, The Kindlings Muse live podcast panel discussion will focus on the theme of Waiting.

It's the Christmas show, so we're going to talk about our favorite expressions of the long wait, the human longing for Christ's coming, Christ's return... or for other occasions of grace.

We'll talk about stories, poems, songs, and yes... movies.

So I have a list of films that are about the hard work of waiting, the rewards of waiting, the dangers of losing patience.

1. Into Great Silence - perhaps the Great Film about waiting.

2. The Station Agent - Waiting for trains patiently, waiting for broken worlds to heal, finding wholeness in the waiting, learning not to wait idly but to chase after...

3. Vanya on 42nd Street - The tedium of work as we wait for some kind of reward, and that great speech at the end about "Someday..."

4. Time of the Wolf - Waiting for rescue in a world that's disintegrating, turning to the power of myth for hope

5. Sense and Sensibility - Waiting for true love, or hastily pursuing something less than that

6. The Princess Bride - Waiting for true love

7. Pinocchio - Yearning for transformation into something "real," losing patience, chasing after false ways to become "real"

8. Seraphine - Waiting for the union of bride and groom, longing for it so much that she falls into madness

9. Empire of the Sun - Waiting for rescue, finding hope in childlike dreams, struggling not to lose hope in the midst of human cruelty

Can you suggest a #10? Do any other titles spring to mind for you?

You can get so confused

That you'll start in to race

Down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace

And grind on for miles across weirdish wild space,

Headed, I fear, to a most useless place...

The Waiting place...

...for people just waiting.

Waiting for a train to go,

Or a bus to come, or a plane to go,

Or the mail to come, or the rain to go,

Or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow,

Or waiting around for a Yes or a No,

Or waiting for their hair to grow.

Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite,

Or waiting for wind to fly a kite

Or waiting around for Friday night,

Or waiting perhaps for their Uncle Jake,

Or a pot to boil, or a Better Break,

Or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants,

Or a wig with curls, or another chance.

Everyone is just waiting.

...Er, sorry about that. To your question. Other possibilities might include Casablanca, Ben-Hur, Star Wars Episode V, Babette's Feast, or Dirty Harry. That last one is probably a stretch, though.

Edited by Rushmore

High Noon.

Actually, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a film more about waiting and anticipation than High Noon.

Never Let Me Go?

I haven't seen the film, but waiting and anticipation seem to me very important in the novel.

Wow... what a great, great recommendation. Thanks, Josie! I hadn't thought of this film in those terms, but it really works. In a Pinocchio kind of way, it's about the longing for wholeness, waiting for some semblance of being "real."

Makoto Shinkai (anime): The Place Promised in Our Early Days; Voices of a Distant Star.

Some of his others might fit, too. The two above are the only ones of his I've seen, but Shinkai writes about waiting and loss a lot (maybe too much).

Never Let Me Go?

I haven't seen the film, but waiting and anticipation seem to me very important in the novel.

Wow... what a great, great recommendation. Thanks, Josie! I hadn't thought of this film in those terms, but it really works. In a Pinocchio kind of way, it's about the longing for wholeness, waiting for some semblance of being "real."

Could "Wings of Desire" maybe fit into this context?

Could "Wings of Desire" maybe fit into this context?

I don't know, Attica, but that's another film I'd like to see!

I hadn't thought of this film in those terms, but it really works. In aPinocchio kind of way, it's about the longing for wholeness, waiting for some semblance of being "real."

I hadn't thought of Pinnochio but yes, very much so.

Edited by Josie

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I ended up with less time on the show for these recommendations than I'd anticipated, so I mentioned Close Encounters, Never Let Me Go, Seraphine, The Station Agent, and Into Great Silence. But I wanted to go on, so I may end up writing an article about this.