Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2013: Best Picture

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Screen Actors Guild has nominated the following films for "Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture", which is sort of their equivalent to the Best Picture award (and which, in the past, has sometimes served as a sort of predictor of which film might win the Oscar for Best Picture):

• Argo
  • The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
  • Les Miserables
  • Lincoln
  • Silver Linings Playbook

The winners will be announced January 27, seventeen days after the Oscar nominees are announced and four weeks before the Oscar winners are announced.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Producers Guild has announced its nominees:

• "Argo” (Warner Bros.)
    Producers: Ben Affleck, George Clooney, Grant Heslov
  • "Beasts of the Southern Wild” (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
    Producers: Michael Gottwald, Dan Janvey, Josh Penn
  • "Django Unchained” (The Weinstein Company)
    Producers: Reginald Hudlin, Pilar Savone, Stacey Sher
  • "Les Misérables” (Universal Pictures)
    Producers: Tim Bevan & Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward, Cameron Mackintosh
  • "Life of Pi” (Fox 2000 Pictures)
    Producers: Ang Lee, Gil Netter, David Womark
  • "Lincoln” (Touchstone Pictures)
    Producers: Kathleen Kennedy, Steven Spielberg
  • "Moonrise Kingdom” (Focus Features)
    Producers: Wes Anderson & Scott Rudin, Jeremy Dawson, Steven Rales
  • "Silver Linings Playbook” (The Weinstein Company)
    Producers: Bruce Cohen, Donna Gigliotti, Jonathan Gordon
  • "Skyfall” (MGM/Columbia Pictures)
    Producers: Barbara Broccoli, Michael G. Wilson
  • "Zero Dark Thirty” (Columbia Pictures)
    Producers: Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Megan Ellison

The winner will be announced January 26, almost one month before the Oscars.

Vote!

What do you mean by "nominations still being determined"?

Some of the nomination lists I saw had "nominations still being determined" under the title of the film. I think it meant they weren't sure who to personally credit with the nomination (producers, etc).

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Tyler wrote:

: Some of the nomination lists I saw had "nominations still being determined" under the title of the film. I think it meant they weren't sure who to personally credit with the nomination (producers, etc).

Ah, right. But the actual nominated *films* aren't in any doubt now.

No Moonrise Kingdom or The Master? Argo f#&@ yourself.

My reaction precisely. sad.png

Mine as well, but other than those omissions, I think this list is definitely improved from the last few years.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

The Producers Guild has announced its nominees:

And the winner is... Argo!

The Screen Actors Guild has nominated the following films for "Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture", which is sort of their equivalent to the Best Picture award . . .

And the winner is... Argo!

This Atlantic article pretty much sums up how I feel about what looks like an almost-certain Argo win.

In turns out, [Zero Dark Thirty] was just too controversial. With pundits and bloggers debating Zero Dark's stance on torture — does it make a correlation between "enhanced interrogation" and the discovery of bin Laden, or is it simply realistically depicting something that did happen somewhere, at some point? — the praise for the film's artistic merits began to get lost. People either forgot that they liked the movie on technical grounds or simply were afraid to say it, at risk of wading into the heated political debate and being excoriated for liking a problematic movie. It became significantly less trendy to like Zero Dark Thirty in the weeks leading up to the Golden Globes, and the film has suffered because of it. No one is turning tail and saying that it's a bad film, it's just become something vaguely taboo. You can like it, but not too much.

MSNBC's pillorying or not, the reality is that the "difficult" nature of Zero Dark Thirty was always going to be a problem come Oscar time. Unlike various critics groups, the Academy is often not a fan of ambiguity or ambivalence. Instead, voters tend to opt for movies like The King's Speech over moodier, murkier fare like Black Swan or The Social Network. Sure they gave the Best Picture award to Bigelow's last picture, The Hurt Locker, back in 2009, but that was a win for technically expert filmmaking. Though it doesn't, in our opinion, make any distinct political declarations, Zero Dark is a much more thematically urgent, button-pushing film than Hurt Locker. Argo, with vaguely similar themes and motifs, is a lot more easily digested, and is thus likely to better satisfy the Academy. Plus, when Argo isn't skulking around Iran, it's in sunny Hollywood, offering a gentle parody of the industry before ultimately celebrating its valor. That's something that the Academy, especially the older members, will find hard to resist. Last year they gave the top prize to the showbiz love letter The Artist. This year it seems they're going to give it to the movie that shows the industry doing noble work for a greater good. Everyone will feel good about what they do for a living, and some town favorites like George Clooney and Ben Affleck and Alan Arkin will get recognized in the process. It's a good win.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Argo

We all knew that was gonna happen. I'll be watching it next week and reviewing it. I would have given it to Zero Dark Thirty, myself. Not because it -was- the best picture of the year (that is actually Moonrise Kingdom) but it's the best of the list. That I've seen at least.

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story