Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

North Carolina Film Critics Association (NCFCA)

A couple of friends and I decided to start an association for practicing film critics in or serving North Carolina.

Why?

Partially to see if we could give it a go, I suppose, partially for fellowship, collegiality and self-promotion. I've notice that there seems to me to be a gap between the OFCS (Online Film Critics Society) and SEFCA (Southeast Film Critics Association). The former allows people whose primary venue is online but the latter is a bit more restrictive, requiring 40 or more PRINT publications (if I understand them correctly).

Not to sound pretentious or anything, but I suppose, too, a smaller association can be a little more about mentoring, a little more inclusive. For me, it's not about competing with major associations or pretending we are more than we are, but I do think there would be a place where newer or less experienced critics can join, where they (heck "we"/me) can get tips, pointers, suggestions for the things you don't really learn except by doing: how to apply for press credentials, how to contact a marketing rep (and where to find that information), how to get feedback on your writing in an age where there are a glut of reviews and very little feedback. How to think about ad revenues, issues, etc.

I don't know that anyone on these boards is from North Carolina (except maybe Josh Hurst), but I don't frequent as often as I have in other eras and don't know all the players as well, so if anyone is, check out the website and think about joining us if you think you are eligible. We are going to do some inaugural voting a little later this year (nominations end of the month, vote in mid January) to help out those who don't get screeners or advanced showings to some of the Christmas movies. We also want to have a "Tarheel" award for a film or filmmaker whose work is about an issue of particular relevance to NC or some such. Nominations or ideas are welcome.

Here's the website for interested parties: http://ncfilmcritics.org/

Anders   

Not to sound pretentious or anything, but I suppose, too, a smaller association can be a little more about mentoring, a little more inclusive. For me, it's not about competing with major associations or pretending we are more than we are, but I do think there would be a place where newer or less experienced critics can join, where they (heck "we"/me) can get tips, pointers, suggestions for the things you don't really learn except by doing: how to apply for press credentials, how to contact a marketing rep (and where to find that information), how to get feedback on your writing in an age where there are a glut of reviews and very little feedback. How to think about ad revenues, issues, etc.

This makes me wish I lived in NC and could join. I haven't been very proactive in seeing if there is a Southern Ontario or Toronto area film critics society that I could join that would help with all that stuff. But me thinks I should look into it in the new year.

Anders wrote:

: I haven't been very proactive in seeing if there is a Southern Ontario or Toronto area film critics society . . .

I don't know if this is what you're thinking of, but here's a link to the Toronto Film Critics Association.

SDG   

I know a critic in North Carolina: Larry Toppman of the Charlotte Observer. We met over 20 years ago and we've occasionally kept in touch ever since. Lemme know if you want to get in touch with him.

I know a critic in North Carolina: Larry Toppman of the Charlotte Observer. We met over 20 years ago and we've occasionally kept in touch ever since. Lemme know if you want to get in touch with him.

Thanks Steven. He has already joined.

Edited by kenmorefield