Links to our threads on Carl Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), Victor Fleming's Joan of Arc (1948), Otto Preminger's Saint Joan (1957), Robert Bresson's The Trial of Joan of Arc (1962), Philippe Ramos' The Silence of Joan (2011) and Dana Stevens' The Maid and The Queen: The Secret History of Joan of Arc (in development).

- - -

'Joan of Arc' Series in the Works From 'Moulin Rouge' Writer (Exclusive)

FremantleMedia is prepping to tell Joan of Arc's story.

The production company is teaming with Moulin Rouge screenwriter Craig Pearce to develop Kimberly Cutter's best-selling novel The Maid as a television drama series for international audiences. (FremantleMedia has not yet shopped the series to U.S. networks yet.)

The Maid revolves a young peasant girl who believes she is sent by God to save France and will tell the final years of the Hundred Years' War by chronicling them from Joan's perspective as well as the international noble houses which battled for control of the French throne and ultimately the birth of a nation.

Pearce will serve as writer on the untitled effort, which will be executive produced by Pukeko Pictures, the television company co-founded by Weta Workshop head Richard Taylor.

Pearce will make his small-screen scripted debut, having already penned features Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet and Charlie St. Cloud. The BAFTA winning screenwriter and WGA Award nominee is repped by WME and Hansen Jacobson.

For his part, Taylor's most recent work comes on Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, serving as a costume designer. His credits include Avatar, King Kong and The Lord of the Rings franchise, for which he was part of the Academy Award winning team behind the trilogy's visual effects, costume design and makeup. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, December 17

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.