Greg P

The Legalization of Marijuana-- The Christian Perspective

77 posts in this topic

Branching off from the marijuana discussion, I wanted to share this Michael Pollan article on the use of psychedelics. I'm pretty much a hardliner when it comes to drug use, but within the bounds suggested by the research -- mainly for cancer patients -- I find the potential use of the drugs very intriguing. I don't know it's great for people's souls, but if it relieves them of worry and fear, I like to think that's a good thing (even though worry and fear can be a driver toward facing one's mortality and confronting what might await beyond death).

There's a lot to the article; it's long. I like that it addresses the potential for such drug use to expand well beyond cancer patients, and what the consequences of that might be. But the main focus in the piece is on cancer patients, and there's something reassuring about the article. YMMV.

Edited by Christian

I find the potential use of the drugs very intriguing. I don't know it's great for people's souls, but if it relieves them of worry and fear, I like to think that's a good thing (even though worry and fear can be a driver toward facing one's mortality and confronting what might await beyond death).

Fascinating article, Christian. Psilocybin holds tremendous promise in end-of-life care, mitigating anxiety, depression and fear for months or longer, with a single dose (as the article details with Mr. Mettes). But there are also ongoing studies about its treatment in helping PTSD, substance addictions and other disorders. MDMA-- a slightly more problematic chemical-- is also being used in clinical settings, with tremendous results.

So long as these psychedelics are dispensed in controlled, clinical settings, I'm all in favor. But I guess within Christian circles, there is still a general concern that anything that causes an "altered/enhanced" state of consciousness is a potential spiritual danger. (I remember one well known Evangelical speaking, years ago, about the spiritual risks of being "put under" for surgery, and why such events needed to be approached with great caution and covered in prayer etc ) I think many are worried that surrendering ones mind to such practices opens a door to the demonic world.

Edited by Greg P