Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

Odd Thomas (2013)

oddt_article.jpg?1288972406

Has anybody read this Dean R. Koontz series? I enjoyed the first book quite a bit, but have never followed up on the others (I think there are a total of five now). The casting works for me, especially Anton Yelchin as the title character. He seems to have the prescribed quirkiness of Odd already built in. My only concern... Stephen (I Can't Help but Throw in the Kitchen Sink) Sommers is directing. But, he is directing on a $27 million budget, nearly 1/7th the budget he had for his last film (GI Joe: The Rise of COBRA), perhaps that will rein in his tendencies to over do things. He hasn't had a budget that small since 1994's The Jungle Book.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I've never read Koontz, but the other day I was flipping through the radio and was surprised to find him giving an interview on EWTN. I'm not sure, but I think this is the interview:

Edited by NBooth

I knew from the moment Sommers was attached that things wouldn't go well for this.  Apparently Odd Thomas is locked in legal disputes which are delaying a North American release indefinitely.  However, region 2 DVD's have been available from Hungary since June, and it played at FrightFest a few months back.  Reviews are not good.  Time for Jason Bortz to make a return to these pages, and go off on another of his Stephen Sommers' rants.

Shaun Munro - What Culture?

A promising adaptation of the acclaimed novel is stymied by Stephen Sommers’ amateur direction, horrendous visual effects, ham-fisted voiceover narration and a murder mystery plot that’s impossible to care about.

Dennis Harvey - Variety

Sommers attempts to glue it all together with a raffish all-in-fun tone (despite some gory moments and unpleasant conceits), but the pic is neither witty nor macabre enough to pull off Koontz’s balance of elements in cinematic terms. So it winds up coming off as just another CGI-laden ride that’s at once overstuffed and undernourished. The cluttered f/x side comes off better than the human one does, as the superficially etched characters can’t summon the emotional depth to capitalize on a last-minute reversal that ought to provide a poignant fade.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude