Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2013: Best Production Design

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Art Directors Guild has announced its nominees:

• Period Film:
  • Anna Karenina
  • Argo
  • Django Unchained
  • Les Miserables
  • Lincoln

Fantasy Film:
  • Cloud Atlas
  • Life of Pi
  • Prometheus
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Contemporary Film:
  • Flight
  • Skyfall
  • The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
  • The Impossible
  • Zero Dark Thirty

The winners will be announced February 2, about three weeks before the Oscars.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Vote!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Given the year's films, the choices for this category are a bit disappointing.

Another category The Impossible could have been nominated in. I'm wondering if this just went out too late for a lot of voters to look at, or if the effects and production design don't come across as well on screeners and home viewing.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

FWIW, The Royal Tenenbaums was nominated for its screenplay (it lost to Gosford Park) and Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) was nominated for its score and for best animated feature (it lost to Up in both categories).

The Art Directors Guild has announced its nominees:

And the winners are: Skyfall (contemporary), Anna Karenina (period) and Life of Pi (fantasy).

The latter two films are nominated for the Oscar for Best Production Design, but Skyfall is not (nor were any of the other "contemporary" ADG nominees).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway