Sign in to follow this  
J.A.A. Purves

Top 25 Films on Marriage: Voting Now Until Jan 21

Voted over the weekend, but I have to be honest and say I didn't get to watch a lot of the nominated films that I hadn't seen. Unlike the past two years where I seemed to have a lot of extra time on my hands to catch up on unseen nominees, that time just wasn't available this year (a new job with a lot of OT is to blame). So, there were a lot of skips as far as my votes went.

Well, that's done--and over two hours before the deadline, which is pretty good for me. Since I've never done this before, the hardest part was voting on the basis of appropriateness for the list rather than how good a film is in general. Hopefully I didn't overcompensate.

I was interested to see that Days of Heaven didn't have a 1 available. Not complaining, since I'm the one who nominated it. Didn't think to take a screenshot, unfortunately.

Rushmore wrote:

: I was interested to see that Days of Heaven didn't have a 1 available.

I noticed that too. What, we're not allowed to give Malick films a low rating or something? :)

FWIW, I was only able to catch up with a handful of previously unseen films before voting. It would have been more, but my screen time was fully booked until less than a week ago with 2012 year-end viewing and other obligations. (I also rewatched part of a film I'd seen long ago, enough to decide I wouldn't be voting for it.) It seems to me I've run into this same problem with our other lists. I guess we do them at this time of year, the worst time of year for me.

To avoid penalizing films I hadn't seen by pushing my own agenda too strongly, I limited my 5-rank votes to a shortlist of films I felt most strongly about (between 10 and 15, I think), and voted 4s for other movies I wanted for the list but wouldn't mind seeing edged for something potentially stronger that I hadn't seen.

To avoid penalizing films I hadn't seen by pushing my own agenda too strongly, I limited my 5-rank votes to a shortlist of films I felt most strongly about (between 10 and 15, I think), and voted 4s for other movies I wanted for the list but wouldn't mind seeing edged for something potentially stronger that I hadn't seen.

This is pretty much how I voted too.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this