Oscars 2013: Best Director

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Directors Guild of America -- which almost always agrees with the Oscars, on the winner at least -- has announced its nominees:

• Ben Affleck, Argo
  • Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty
  • Tom Hooper, Les Miserables
  • Ang Lee, Life of Pi
  • Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

If memory serves, Affleck is the only nominee here who has never won an Oscar or DGA award before.

The winner will be announced February 2.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• Yes, the other four have all won DGA and Oscar awards - Bigelow for The Hurt Locker, Hooper for The King's Speech (also a DGA award for John Adams, I think), Lee for Brokeback Mountain (and a DGA-only for Crouching Tiger) and Spielberg for The Color Purple (DGA), Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.

I remain surprised that Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master is not figuring largely in the year-end awards.

Edited by Mark R.Y.

Pretty much what I expected, although I thought David O. Russell would get a nomination for Silver Linings Playbook, while Hooper or Li was ignored. I also would have picked him over both of them. While I knew it was a long shot, I was really hoping Wes Anderson would have been nominated for Moonrise Kingdom.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Vote!

And, wow. There are only two names that appear on both the DGA list and the Academy's list: Spielberg and Lee.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

And, wow. There are only two names that appear on both the DGA list and the Academy's list: Spielberg and Lee.

Yeah, this is easily the biggest surprise category. I figured Bigelow and Hooper were locks, and Affleck likely, too.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Roger Friedman has a theory as to why the Oscars and the DGA are so out-of-alignment this year:

I think I know the answer. Maybe some Academy voters will respond.But it’s more than likely that lacking a list of Directors Guild nominees, many voters were at a loss. Usually the DGA nominees are announced before the Oscar ballots are due back. Oscar nominations for Best Director in the past have lined up with the DGA list. And it makes sense. That DGA list is useful for panicked voters.

But this year the Academy moved their deadline back to January 3 (and then the 4th) so they could trump the Golden Globe weekend. It worked. Everyone’s talking about the Oscars today. Golden Globes have faded. But an unintended result is the lack of a guide for Oscar voters.

The DGA nominated Bigelow and Hooper, along with Spielberg, Affleck and Lee. If their choices had been made available to the Academy, I think we’d have seen a different list today. So don’t think this is some referendum or that it means anything other than that. The voters were a little adrift. The result is a bunch of name directors–all of whom have had many accolades in the past– are wondering if their Best Pictures directed themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
The Directors Guild of America -- which almost always agrees with the Oscars, on the winner at least -- has announced its nominees:

And the winner is... Ben Affleck, who wasn't even *nominated* for an Oscar this year.

So we don't even need to find out who the Oscar winner will be this year to declare that this marks the seventh time that the DGA and the Oscar for Best Director have gone to different films, and the third time that the DGA went to someone who wasn't even nominated for the Oscar (the previous such DGA winners were Ron Howard for Apollo 13 and Steven Spielberg for The Color Purple).

• 4 weeks later...

Ang Lee

shoulda been Wes Anderson...but of those listed I would have been happy with David O' Russell, or Ang Lee...Life of Pi may have had its flaws, but it was a beautifully directed movie.

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story