Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Reforming Hollywood, by William Romanowski

I mentioned this book in the "What We're Reading" thread, in which I said I'd launch a dedicated thread on the book once I'd completed it. Now that I've blogged about the book at Patheos, I figure I better follow through. I had some difficulty finding entry into the book's style and content, but once it clicked, I moved through it pretty quickly.

Has anyone else here read it? It's well researched and deals with different streams of Protestant/Evangelical engagement with movies in the 20th century. I submitted my blog post in response to a request for something on the best book(s) I'd read this year, although the post makes no mention of that.

Here's the Christianity Today review. I have no idea if the book has been well received outside of Christian circles.

Heh...I am so conditioned, I presumed based on the title it was a modern "How to make Hollywood be more Christian" Movieguide type of thing. :)

Quite the opposite! Romanowski's earlier book Pop Culture Wars came out in the mid-'90s and was written as an explicit rebuttal of the theories being put forth back then by Movieguide and their ilk (especially Michael Medved's Hollywood Vs America).

I was a big fan of that one -- of Romanowski's book, that is. I've got a review copy of Reforming Hollywood myself and hope to read it soon.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Oh, yeah, I did not get a chance to read all of Christian's post about it...but it sounds infinitely more interesting than what sprang to mind from the title. :)

Hmmm...  I just followed the link, and it says, "Pages 8 to 117 are not shown in this preview."  It then picks up on page 119.

Never mind, I'm withdrawing my complaint.

Edited by Overstreet

Oh, apparently I'm quoted on page 211 of Eyes Wide Open, too -- though in a more neutral fashion, I think. (Google won't preview the page before that, so I'm not entirely sure what the context is, but I appear to be quoted in the context of discussing how some films link violence and religion in a positive way.)

I missed part of this discussion. Were we talking about Romanowski's evaluation of Jeffrey's and Steven's reviews of Brokeback Mountain in Eyes Wide Open (pp. 113-115)?

I think it dates Romanowski to treat Brokeback as a profound work of art. Now that the hullabaloo has died down, Lee's film looks rather like a period piece, though its technical excellence remains undisputed.

Edited by Nathaniel