Sign in to follow this  
Russ

Brian Vaughan's SAGA

Anybody else reading this comic? Vaughan referred to it as "Star Wars for perverts," which is a pretty hilarious and apt description. I just finished the first trade collection last night and will be eagerly looking for the second one in a year or two. I really dig it, though not enough to buy single issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm reading it issue by issue. I really like the bizarre story of parenthood it's telling so far, I'm interested in seeing how that evolves over time or if the book deveops into somethign else entirely after a while.

Part of what also makes the book is Finoa Staples amazing art. I'm impressed she's able to put as much detail and vibrancy into each issue every month.

How many issues are out now beyond the collected six? I could do with a little less of Vaughan's grafting of contemporary colloquialisms and ironic poses into the dialogue, but the world they've created in just the six issues I've read-- with the trade union of assassins, the magic and the broad cast of characters-- is exactly the sort of broad, imaginative escapism that I got out of Star Wars when I was a kid.

The art really is amazing. In particular, I love the Stalk, Prince Robot IV, the Lying Cat and Izabel. I loved Y: The Last Man up until they go to Hong Kong. When he tried to explain the cause of the viral catastrophe, the whole thing fell apart for me. I loved the "conventional" style of the art in Y (and it fit the tone of that series well), but the art in Saga is a significant upgrade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue #9 came out yesterday. If you have a tablet like an iPad or one of the android devices, you might consider getting issues digitally as they come out if you don't mind reading them electronically.

Otherwises, you could just wait for the next trade. Image Comics is pretty good at coming out with the trades as soon as they can.

I read Y: the Last Man after reading the first six issues of Saga. I didn't care for it. The writing was really strong, but I didn't like any of the characters. And like you said, the last arc of the story falls apart.