Dirty Wars

tenpenny

AMC's Sundance Selects acquires the North American rights to the documentary film Dirty Wars: http://www.deadline....abs-dirty-wars/

A lengthy segment on Democracy Now about the film: http://www.democracy...cahill_and_rick

From the announcement by Sundance Selects:

PARK CITY, UT (January 20, 2013) – Sundance Selects announced today from the 2013 Sundance Film Festival that the company is acquiring North American rights to Richard Rowley’s DIRTY WARS, which premiered in the U.S. documentary competition section. The film, with a screenplay by Jeremy Scahill and David Riker, was produced by Anthony Arnove, Brenda Coughlin, and Scahill.

Rowley’s film follows investigative reporter Jeremy Scahill on an unexpected journey as he chasesdown the truth behind America’s covert wars.

Jonathan Sehring, President of Sundance Selects/IFC Films, said: “Our entire team was blown away by DIRTY WARS, Richard Rowley’s tough-minded, gripping film that plays out like a detective story. Jeremy Scahill’s investigation into the war on terror being waged around the world is a vital, disturbing and incredibly humane story that will have people on both sides of the political spectrum talking. We look forward to working with Richard, Jeremy, David Riker, Brenda Coughlin, Anthony Arnove and the entire team behind the film in bringing this film to the largest public audience, as well as sparking a discussion on the topic.”

“We’re thrilled to be joining the Sundance Selects family,” said director Richard Rowley. Added Scahill: “We made this film to uncover the hidden truth about wars being fought in our name that we as Americans know next to nothing about, and we can’t think of a better partner to do this with than Sundance Selects.”

For the Word of God and God wills always and in all things to accomplish the mystery of his embodiment. – Maximus the Confessor

My blog. My SoundCloud page.

• 1 year later...

When and if I ever sit down with all the 2013 films I need to see in order to make a list (I'm starting to think that it might be possibly by, oh let's just say July) -- I can't see a film dethroning this. I feel it is that important, and needs to be seen. It would once again shape up as an interesting year for me, because I can't imagine The Act of Killing not having the number two spot on said list.

As they say in Pentacostal circles, "I know that I know" that there will be a backlash against it. I clearly remember the Gasland thread even here. And believe me -- Gasland is nothing compared to this. I wonder if and when all the backlash gets going and gets done, whether I will feel the same way about this Dirty Wars. That is to say, is this true? And if it is true, then there are some very sinister people on this planet -- and they are all in charge, and outside of a revolution, not a whole lot is going to happen to change the way things go down. Voting and shifting around personalities and characters won't change a thing.

I must admit, I become fearful for my kids when I see a documentary like this. Same feeling for The Act of Killing, and the two together (along with older films like Hearts and Minds and about a billion other docs out there) show us that the US has been sewing seeds for fifty years now. I hate to be seen as someone who has to reap what the warlords have sewn.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Netflix link, as per our thread on the Best Documentary Feature nominees: http://t.co/6EUDhoF8Ma

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.