Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Top 25 Marriage Films: Results and Blurbs

Ryan H., is there anything on the list you'd like to take up?

I will take LE MEPRIS if it has not been already claimed.

I also advocated Cold Heaven and La femme infidele to no avail. Given more time and wider availability, I'm sure these two would have had a fighting chance.

I always knew it was a reach, but I really wanted COLD HEAVEN to make the cut. It was an inspired nomination.

Stay home sick, log off for a few hours to finally watch that film you'd nominated, voted for but meant to rewatch in case it made the list (Shame; it didn't, and having just rewatched it, that's a bit of a shame but not the end of the world), check back in and discover that ... the list has been posted and nearly every blurb accounted for!

Thanks, Jeremy, for alerting me that the list is up.

I watched and liked Ali: Fear Eats the Soul this past year, so I'll take that one.

Edited by Christian

I wonder if there are any that are on our Top 100, Road Films, AND this one? Sunrise maybe?

Perhaps next year we can omit movies that have already been on the currently available lists, because we're beginning to have less and less variety.

This is a good point.

In fact (I kind of hate to bring this up because we've already parceled out the blurbs, but...) is there any reason why we should consider doing it now to this list? To see if we can make room for some other films that just missed the list?

Or is that arbitrarily screwing with the process too much? Too much chance of omitting films that really deserve to be on two lists?

Or we could do a Top 30 special...although we upped it from Top 20 because we thought 20 wasn't enough the first time!

This list belongs to all of you--what do y'all think?

I'd say that if a film gets voted onto two or three lists, it deserves to be on those lists. It shows which films this community highly values.

And if a film is honored as a "road movie" and a "marriage movie," how do we decide which list is a more appropriate one? It seems strange to let the chronology of our lists determine that.

I'd hate to see Andrei Rublev disqualified for Top 25 Russian Films just because it was #3 on our Road Movies list, for example.

Perhaps next year we can omit movies that have already been on the currently available lists, because we're beginning to have less and less variety.

In fact (I kind of hate to bring this up because we've already parceled out the blurbs, but...) is there any reason why we should consider doing it now to this list? To see if we can make room for some other films that just missed the list?

Or is that arbitrarily screwing with the process too much? Too much chance of omitting films that really deserve to be on two lists?

Or we could do a Top 30 special...although we upped it from Top 20 because we thought 20 wasn't enough the first time!

This list belongs to all of you--what do y'all think?

Because it wasn't a consideration during either the nomination or the voting process this year, I would suggest discussing it first during the process next year instead. I'm not bothered by any Top 100 films making it to the Top 25 lists. And while I don't want all our Top 25 lists looking the same, there are only 3 from the first two combined that have made it onto this list.

I think, Mr. Hanvey, that you've brought up an interesting point, worth discussing further next year during the nominating process. But, with all due respect, you said Another Year is the only film on this list that you've even seen. I also remember you said in the past that you don't really watch many "older" films. So it sounds to me like you are very similar to a large majority of many of my other good friends & family (who have also seen very little of the films on any of these A&F lists). If that is the case, then "variety" is not really a problem.

I had written a long piece on my reactions...then somehow managed to click "back" on the browser and lose it all. ARGH.

So, the bullet points instead:

Positive reactions:

• One of the oldest (Sunrise) and newest (A Separation) are both in the top 10
  • The Family Way got the recognition and votes it deserves. Thanks again, Peter.
  • The top two films are such a perfect pair.
  • I need to watch more Cassavetes.

Disappointments:

• Up barely didn't make the cut.
  • A marriage list without Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? just feels wrong.
  • Not much love for the horror nominees, apart from Don't Look Now. I would have preferred The Brood.
  • All the blurbs were taken for films I've seen! You gotta be quick on this forum.

FWIW, I was one of the folks who voted a "1" for Babies. Why? Because it's about babies. If it had been on the list over and above a film like Take Shelter or In the Mood for Love, I would have been pretty disappointed. With my low comment count, and thus less weight for my votes, I may have had a few more "1's" than others here. Strategic voting practices.

Wow!!! I've got some work to do this year. I've seen exactly 3.... 3 of these films. And one of those I watched in preparation for voting in the Top 25 Horror list.

Biggest disappointment would be the omission of Time Indefinite, but it's really hard to come by, and is probably best seen with Sherman's March, which is a lot of hours to devote to Ross McElwee.

Edited by John Drew

There are barely any blurbs left, but two that are very important to me personally are here. It's like you left them for me! Thank you! I will gladly take Sunrise and Tender Mercies.

I watched and liked Ali: Fear Eats the Soul this past year, so I'll take that one.

Nice!

It doesn't surprise me that several of the films from our T100 appear on this list. I would expect it. Apparently we value a good film about marriage over a great horror film on the whole in this community.

This is something I would like to hear you flesh out a bit.

And John, I hear you on Time Indefinite. Which is on Netflix Instant...

But the decade distribution on this list is quite good. Which doesn't happen too often.

Edited by M. Leary

FWIW, I was one of the folks who voted a "1" for Babies. Why? Because it's about babies.

So…I thought it was a "5" for this list because it's about babies. And you thought it was a "1" for this list because it's about babies.

And you weren't the only one, apparently. I mean, apparently we failed to even to consider a single other film less worthy of inclusion, according to this community, other than Face/Off.

This…is where I should stop talking.

Edited by SDG

• A marriage list without Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? just feels wrong.

So if WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? had that much support, who was voting against it, I wonder?

Well, we all know Stef hates it... ;)

I wasn't too happy with it on this list. I see it as a film about a husband and a wife who hate each other. Great stuff for Valentine's Day right there.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure I gave Babies a 1, too. Like someone above said, it's a film about babies.

Other than that, I don't think I voted too strongly against some of the other ones mentioned. I withheld my vote on the cartoons, because I haven't seen them in a while, and I don't really like cartoons (although I'm learning), so I thought I'd let the community handle those. IIRC.

As to the list itself, I tried to campaign for La Moustache, but I guess that didn't work out. I'm pretty excited about this list though. I believe I've only seen eight or nine of the films here. Which means more to see, more to learn, more to blog, more great films to take in. Thanks, A&F.

Edited by Persona

Apparently we should have started with some remedial discussion on What Marriage Is.

Of course, our entire culture seems to have been having major trouble with that question for some time now, so.

I'm starting to think it's a pretty fracking homophobic list, don't you think?

(Sorry, all. But not sorry enough to delete it yet. Maybe in the morning.)

Apparently we should have started with some remedial discussion on What Marriage Is.

Of course, our entire culture seems to have been having major trouble with that question for some time now, so.

(Sorry, all. But not sorry enough to delete it yet. Maybe in the morning.)

won't do you any good now, lol

Regarding Babies, the low ranking could be due to few people seeing it. SDG gave it a 5, Joel gave it a 1, let's assume it got a 4, three more 1's, and a 2: that would result in an average of 2.142857143. With weighting votes, a scenario like that could have resulted in it's low finish. (I have some degree of Asperger's and am very mathematically inclined.) So we can't conclude that the entire A&F community thought Babies was a poor choice; it could have been skewered through few votes, and more people seeing it could have resulted in a higher finish.

I have been trying to rent a copy of Babies for two years, and have not yet been successful.

won't do you any good now, lol

I'm a moderator, I can do whatever I want. laugh.png

OH, I thought I GOT YOU, but YOU GOT ME! Oh, that is great. Well played.

I have been trying to rent a copy of Babies for two years, and have not yet been successful.

I believe I saw it on Pay-Per-View. But that was a while ago.

Not necessarily. Most good films that deal with "nontraditional" relationships involve a story that is, for the most part, simply not about marriage. It's more a product of the society we live in than any intentional direction on our part.

I nominated and tried to lobby for Beginners, which I believe would have added a great unique and provocative dimension to the list. It wrestles with questions specifically about marriage with an intelligence not to be found in a more simplistic propagandizing film. But I guess I didn't lobby enough for it and, at least from the thread, it looks like almost no one here has seen it.

OH, I thought I GOT YOU, but YOU GOT ME! Oh, that is great. Well played.

Remember the epic confrontation of me and Prins (with guest appearance by "5DG"), in which I flagrantly abused my moderator powers, but Dale still found a way to retaliate, as it were? That was The. Best. Thing. Ever.

As far as I know, Netflix will deliver it within a day or two. I'm not saying it's the greatest film that's ever been made. But it's a special film that deserved more consideration than it got here.

Not necessarily. Most good films that deal with "nontraditional" relationships involve a story that is, for the most part, simply not about marriage. It's more a product of the society we live in than any intentional direction on our part.

That would not be my take. (I was being sarcastic.)

I nominated and tried to lobby for Beginners, which I believe would have added a great unique and provocative dimension to the list. It wrestles with questions specifically about marriage with an intelligence not to be found in a more simplistic propagandizing film. But I guess I didn't lobby enough for it and, at least from the thread, it looks like almost no one here has seen it.

I saw it. Or anyway I saw enough of it to know that a) it wasn't going on my best films list for that year, and b.) it wasn't going on my list of films I wanted on this list, either.

Edited by SDG

Films I'd probably put on a personal list of this sort that didn't make the cut: The New World, Lucky Life, 8 1/2, The Loneliest Planet, Eyes Wide Shut, Take Shelter, In the Mood for Love.

Admittedly, though, there are quite a few films in the running which I've not seen.

As far as I know, Netflix will deliver it within a day or two. I'm not saying it's the greatest film that's ever been made. But it's a special film that deserved more consideration than it got here.

I don't have Netflix for a variety of reasons, but my town library has an impressive DVD collection, which is normally my source for renting DVD's. (They have Diary of a Country Priest, Rules of the Game, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Tokyo Story, A Separation but never got Babies.) I did recently discover that I can borrow DVD's from other nearby libraries through them, so I finally should have found a way to view Babies.

This might be my favourite list of the Top 25s so far, but I do wish The Thin Man, It's A Wonderful Life, and Solaris had made the cut. Not having a Tarkovsky on a Top Anything might be an A&F first.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this