Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonLine

Star Trek 13

That's astounding, Peter. No Star Trek movie has filmed outside of California as far as I know - at least not principle photography. I know Trek VI filmed second unit on a glacier in Greenland, and Trek II/III filmed some second unit in Hawaii. But for the main sets to be filmed outside of Los Angeles - that's a big step.

Shatner will play future JJverse Kirk, not Kirk Prime. And Leonard Nimoy will play future JJverse Spock, not Spock Prime. And they will share their scene with Chris Pine and Zack Quinto.

So now Shatner and Nimoy will have to play versions of their characters who have *none* of the history of the characters that Shatner and Nimoy have played up to this point. Has a "reboot" ever asked an actor to come back and reboot the same character before? (I guess there's Judi Dench's M in the Bond films.)

Devin Faraci:

I had made my peace with Orci directing, and now I'm standing here filled with so much hope. The question is whether or not the work that has been done until now will stay; my sources tell me that the script Orci was working on saw the Enterprise, the Vulcans and a new alien race competing to get a time travel device. The Vulcans want to go back and stop the destruction of their planet, and the time travel schtick is what would allow Chris Pine and William Shatner to share the screen. Is that still going to be the plot of the movie - a MacGuffin that could wipe out the previous two films?

[uPDATE: I've been in touch with some folks and it seems like the script was one of the problem factors. Paramount shut the production down last month, sending home all the design people while they battled over the direction of the screenplay. I imagine all this stuff is gone now]

Drew McWeeny:

I'm intrigued by Mike Fleming's mention of Edgar Wright as one of the people on the short list to take the job, but the last time I spoke with Edgar, it sounded to me like he was focused on original material at this point. I'd love to see him take on a film this size, and I can't help but wonder how Edgar's way of shooting and cutting would fit when applied to something like "Star Trek." He doesn't approach action in the standard blockbuster way, and I can't imagine him muting his own style no matter what film he's making. Joe Cornish, one of Edgar's closest friends and collaborators, was one of the people who was originally in the hunt to direct the film, but Orci was determined at that point to direct it himself and I think that was clear to any of the directors in the mix.

If they get Wright, I will be really excited about a Star Trek movie — about a Star Trek anything — for the first time in my life.

Edited by Overstreet

Overstreet wrote:
: If they get Wright, I will be really excited about a Star Trek movie — for a Star Trek anything — for the first time in my life.

Heh. Sorry, can't resist quoting this:

It's strange, and actually saddening, to me to see things change so much that now I look forward more to a Star Trek movie than a Star Wars movie, and a James Bond movie more than an Indiana Jones movie. It has as much to do with franchises getting worse as it does franchises getting better. What's next?

Not quite a "really excited" statement, but it surprised me so much back then that it stuck in my memory. :)

Yeah, that was more a statement ("saddening") about lowered Star Wars expectations than high Star Trek expectations. And what cautious hopes I had for the new Trek collapsed with that lousy second film.

But Edgar Wright's on a streak of sensational movies. If I had to list my five favorite directors working today, he'd be one of them.

Edited by Overstreet

What’s Going On With STAR TREK 3?

Maybe both narratives are true. I wonder if Paramount basically forced Orci to quit. If he did quit it was a surprise to many members of his pre-production team, who didn't see it coming. But what would have made him quit? What was the source of the disagreement between Orci and Paramount?

Guardians of the Galaxy. That's the movie that has a bug up Paramount's ass, and they want Star Trek 3 to feel more like Guardians. This comes on the heels of the first two movies being respectable, solid earners but not the kind of home runs Paramount needs. They want the third film to be huge, and they want it to be huge overseas especially. They look at Rocket and Groot and then they look at Keenser and they wonder why he doesn't have more of a role.

Devin Faraci, Badass Digest, December 15

- - -

Well, they've already got Zoe Saldana...

But seriously. The first two Abrams films felt way too much like they were ditching everything Trekkie about Star Trek and making a Star Wars film instead. Now they're gonna go chase after the fumes of *another* franchise?

To be directed by Justin Lin, who has the distinction of directing *both* the lowest-grossing *and* the highest-grossing Fast & Furious films.

I can handle that. As I said on Facebook back when Lin's name was first suggested, I think stylistic continuity between the two Abrams films and this one is to be desired, and from what I've seen Lin can deliver that. But--as importantly--he's shown himself to be fairly adept at handling large casts and giving them the feel of being a family, which is something this iteration of Trek sorely needs.

July 8, 2016. That's only a year and a half from now.

Subject to revision, of course. The first JJ Abrams film was supposed to come out in time for Christmas 2008, and it got bumped to May 2009 (after it had been shot). Star Trek into Darkness was supposed to come out July 2012, and it got bumped to May 2013 (before it was shot, if memory serves). Paramount clearly wants this new film to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the franchise, so they *have* to release it in 2016 sometime, but there's a bit of wiggle room if they want to bump it from July to December or something.

Meanwhile: I found myself wondering earlier today if Justin Lin might have the best box-office track record of any new Star Trek director since Robert Wise. Consider:

-- Robert Wise, Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979). His credits included The Sound of Music (1965) -- which Box Office Mojo estimates is still the #3 movie of all time, behind Gone with the Wind and Star Wars, once you adjust for inflation -- and West Side Story (1961), which is currently #68 on the all-time inflation-adjusted chart but would have been #38 at the time (because 30 of the films in the Top 68 were released after 1979).

-- Nicholas Meyer, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982). His only previous directorial credit was for Time after Time (1979), which grossed about $13 million according to Wikipedia.

-- Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984). He had never directed a big-screen movie before.

-- William Shatner, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989). He had never directed a big-screen movie before.

-- David Carson, Star Trek: Generations (1994). He had never directed a big-screen movie before.

-- Jonathan Frakes, Star Trek: First Contact (1996). He had never directed a big-screen movie before.

-- Stu Baird, Star Trek: Nemesis (2002). His only previous directorial credits were for U.S. Marshals (1998, $57.2 + 45.2 = 102.4 million worldwide) and Executive Decision (1996, $56.6 + 65.4 = 122 million worldwide).

-- JJ Abrams, Star Trek (2009). His only previous directorial credit was for Mission: Impossible III (2006, $134 + 263.8 = 397.9 million worldwide).

-- Justin Lin, Star Trek 13 (2016). He has directed eight feature films already, including four installments in the Fast & Furious franchise, the last two of which grossed over $200 million in North America and over $600 million worldwide each.

Incidentally, two of Justin Lin's earliest films -- Shopping for Fangs (1997) and Better Luck Tomorrow (2002) -- featured a certain actor named John Cho. Cho, of course, played Sulu in the JJ Abrams films. So getting Lin to direct the next Star Trek movie would be a reunion of sorts.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

FWIW, my blog post rounding up some of the latest news. It's the first post I've written about the Star Trek movies since May. All the rumours about Nimoy and Shatner coming back to the franchise must have come out while I was way, *way* too busy dealing with Exodus and my trip to Morocco and whatnot.

Peter, that round-up was VERY helpful, and I had not thought about the comics at all, but that question is a big one!

Simon Pegg co-writing

Simon Pegg has been set to co-write Star Trek 3, the film that just got Fast & Furious director Justin Lin aboard after Roberto Orci exited the helmer chair. He will co-write the script with Doug Jung, creator of the TNT series Dark Blue. Pegg’s already a pivotal player in the JJ Abrams-produced Paramount/Skydance pic; he also will reprise his role as Scotty, the engineering wiz originated by James Doohan in the original 1960s Gene Roddenberry series. Don’t be surprised if Scotty beams up further on the call sheet. Jung also wrote for Bad Robot and Paramount a film called Diamond, which is how he got the gig. They are just getting underway.

More Scotty... more Keenser? Looks like those rumours about Paramount envying Guardians of the Galaxy might be true.

Also: this news is interesting in light of the early rumour that the studio might want Pegg's buddy Edgar Wright to direct the film.

[ Deleted erroneous bit about this being the first Star Trek movie since 1991 to be co-written by one of the actors. I had forgotten that Brent Spiner got a story credit on Nemesis. ]

The first female captain we ever saw in Star Trek was, I believe, the captain of the starship that is disabled by the whale probe at the beginning of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Prior to that -- almost 20 years earlier -- there was an entire episode (the last episode of the series, in fact) devoted to the idea that Starfleet wouldn't allow women to be starship captains. I guess that's a piece of continuity we can happily do away with.

From the Memory Alpha entry on that episode:

Lester's line, "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women", was taken by some to mean that women could not yet become starship captains by this time. However, it might also mean that women are not allowed to intrude on the discipline and burden of command—an interpretation borne out by Lester's regret over not being able to have "roamed the stars" with Kirk. Captain Erika Hernandez in ENT: "Home" showed that there were female captains in the pre-Federation era but there is no firm evidence either way of female captains existing at this time. A female captain would appear 17 years later on the bridge of the USS Saratoga in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and of course Captain Kathryn Janeway would take command of the USS Voyager on Star Trek: Voyager, 102 years after this episode takes place.

I would be more than happy to excise "Turnabout Intruder." A noble attempt--possibly--at doing the whole relevance thing, but it does not age well (except among certain groups of fans who are interested in a very different subject).

Edited by NBooth

Can someone give me a breakdown on canon here? It seems like with choosing to fill in a hole prior to TOS, they can kind of make stuff up and "fix" non-PC elements of TOS. Right?

This all just makes me want to hang out in DS9.

M. Leary wrote:
: Can someone give me a breakdown on canon here? It seems like with choosing to fill in a hole prior to TOS, they can kind of make stuff up and "fix" non-PC elements of TOS. Right?

To a point, sure. But ENT is still part of the existing continuity on this new timeline (and so, one assumes, are the visits to the past by the TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY characters from the original timeline).