Sign in to follow this  
Anodos

Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013)

Is coming out of Sundance with some good reviews, notably from the Guardian, which compares it to Malick's Badlands.
I hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds like one of the highlights of a fairly disappointing Sundance...

The Malick is strong with this one.

BTW, the writer/director, David Lowery, edited Upstream Color with Shane Carruth. He's made a few other movies, but he seems to have more experience editing.

Edited by Tyler

This is why I'm glad Malick is still exploring. There will be plenty of Malick disciples to bring that kind of style to narrative-based filmmaking.

I've been tracking this one for a while, and the reviews are very encouraging. I first encountered Lowery as a film blogger several years ago and have enjoyed his writing on film very much. I've been very curious about St. Nick. It's exciting to see some of his own work reach this stage of broad exposure.

I'm also excited to see Rooney Mara play something besides a psycho.

Edited by Overstreet

I've been exchanging emails and DVDs with David for almost a decade, so I'm thrilled with his success. He told me IFC is giving the new film a fairly wide theatrical release, so I'm hopeful I'll get a chance to see it on a big screen here in Knoxville. I wrote a bit about St. Nick a couple years ago.

Saw this yesterday evening and then it kept me up much of the night, mostly because of one line: I only see good. (That can't be a spoiler if I don't give any context or say who speaks it.) Trying to unload that line at 3 in the morning probably isn't very productive.

I saw the film today.

It's exquisite. The phrase that comes to mind, when trying to describe the film, is "a really good melodrama."

Because it is that, a melodrama, but also a convincing one.

It shares a lot in common with both To the Wonder and Upstream Color, though I'm inclined to say that, as a film, it's better than both of those (as much as I love Carruth and think he has the potential to become a great director).

There's a lot to discuss, really, but has anyone seen it?

It's like the family from Days of Heaven met up with Officer Jim from Magnolia. Not quite as good as either of those movies, but not far off.