Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Steve Jobs (Boyle/Sorkin)

Sony is looking to replace David Fincher as director.

Fincher is said to be seeking a hefty $10 million up front in fees, as well as control over marketing, in negotiations with the studio. Sony allowed him considerable input into the marketing of the 2011 film The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, including honoring his request to use the tagline "The feel bad movie of Christmas" in its campaign. A source says Fincher also had the studio create metal, razor-blade-shaped one-sheet materials for the film that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce but were not suitable for display in theaters.

Sony declined to comment. Fincher's reps did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

A source with ties to the studio says Fincher potentially could re-enter negotiations but that the fee he is seeking is “ridiculous,” adding, “You’re not doing Transformers here. You’re not doing Captain America. This is quality — it’s not screaming commerciality. He should be rewarded in success but not up front.”

DiCaprio is out.

The Hollywood Reporter

The actor, who had been in talks with Sony to tackle the late Apple Computer co-founder for director Danny Boyle, has bowed out to instead shoot The Revenant. But instead of making the untitled Jobs project right after, as had been hoped, DiCaprio has removed himself from the project altogether. Sources say after DiCaprio finishes The Revenant, which began shooting this week, he plans to take a lengthy break from acting.

Teaser trailer. Did we know Michael Fassbender is playing Jobs? I don't think it's come up in the thread, at least.

Doesn't look like a very flattering portrait.

Not much of a surprise, really. Especially given the fact that Sorkin, um, doesn't really "get" computers (based on The Social Network, at least). Don't get me wrong, I really like TSN--re-watching has convinced me that the dialogue, at least, is incredibly sharp--but it has the air of an old man grumping about how computers are Ruining Our Lives. I'd hardly expect him to treat Steve Jobs any better.

Doesn't look like a very flattering portrait.

Not much of a surprise, really. Especially given the fact that Sorkin, um, doesn't really "get" computers ,,,

Edited by kenmorefield

I lost interest in Danny Boyle after Sunshine, but wow, I loved this film.  I love its 3 act structure, over which we watch how Jobs changes (and doesn't) over the course of 14 years.  Terrific acting by Fassbender, Winslet, Rogen, and Daniels.  After my meh reaction to Room, it's nice to see a film that is so well served by its medium; Walter Isaacson's biography may have been terrific (don't know, haven't read it), but this is excellent movie-making.

I thought this was pretty great as well. The three act structure worked perfectly, and I loved how we always saw the lead-up to the presentation, but never saw the actual presentations. (kind of like seeing the wiring, computer codes, hardware, etc, but never seeing the actual computer - it reflected Jobs' first two failures, and then it didn't need to show us what we already knew succeeded.)

And it kills me to say it, but I think Sorkin deserves a second Oscar for this screenplay.

Really, really great. Easily my favorite of Boyle's films. I listened to the Boyle interview on Maron's WTF podcast a few weeks back, which was excellent considering all the talk about his Catholic background and how that informs his desire to tell stories that lead to joy.

But I loved the structure and pacing of the dialogue here, which Boyle did well to render as cinema rather than just a Sorkin bio-dump. The period details and rapid cutting in what amounts to a series of small interiors drew me into what could have been a pretty inert script. And I remain floored by Jobs' confession toward the end: "I'm poorly made..." which is more than enough fodder for any theologically-inclined critic.