Sign in to follow this  
Nick Alexander

Top 100 on Netflix? TCM? Amazon Prime? Hulu? PBS?

Hi!

One of my latest endeavors is I started a podcast. It is a worship podcast (hymns, spirituals, contemporary songs and Gregorian Chant) but there's a sharing after the worship.

I am thinking that Lent is a great oppty to highlight six movies from the A&F 100, or Vatican 45, or Ted Baehr's favorite movies list. (Kidding about the last one).

But my biggest problem is... accessibility. I can talk about how moving The Passion of Joan of Arc is, or how profound Ordet is, but if these films are not accessible, I'll be talking to a wall.

(Which I do anyway, but still...).

Can anybody help me find what movies are easiest to have access to without purchasing?

Thx!

Nick

ETA: "Lent"

Edited by Nick Alexander

Without doing a comprehensive survey, I would expect that Hulu Plus is your best bet b/c they have a licensing agreement with the Criterion Collection.

Though, I think you will still be talking to a wall, because most people won't get that service just to watch those movies.

P.S. My answer is assuming money is some sort of object b/c most are available via ebay or Amazon in DVD format.

Edit: To repeat something I said elsewhere, Hulu Plus is different from Hulu. There are a few Criterion available via Hulu (free) but many more available on Hulu Plus (about $9/month).

Edited by kenmorefield

Without doing a comprehensive survey, I would expect that Hulu Plus is your best bet b/c they have a licensing agreement with the Criterion Collection.

Most of the Criterion titles that were pulled from Netflix when the Hulu deal was announced are starting to pop back up on Netflix. For what it's worth.

I'd just like to say that interlibrary loan is a very underused resource. If your library has it, the vast majority of US-released DVDs are available to you for free.

Just browsing thru hulu and hulu+. The latter has a free trial, so perhaps I can get into it.

The only film from the free list that might possibly work (but it doesn't, so I won't cover it), is The Ruling Class... the film where Peter O Toole thinks he's Jesus.

Ordet, which has a similar plot, is in hulu+, as is Passion of Joan of Arc. As is Andrei Rublev (which I didn't like). Black Narcissus (which I did) isn't there, tho, even though I thought that was Criterion too.

I do believe _Into Great Silence_ is on Netflix (and it's super hard for me to sit through. sorry.).

Nick

ETA: W00t! The Gospel According to St Matthew is on Hulu-FREE. Yippee!!

Edited by Nick Alexander

I think Le Fils is on Netflix. Its in my streaming queue, unwatched. Sad, really, since I found time to watch the 76 King Kong remake and the last Star Trek Nex Gen movie, but not Le Fils. I think its the subtitles. Can't read while folding laundry or ironing.

I just saw The Kid w A Bike (on Netflix). Not on a Top 100 (too soon), I may go w that, since it topped SDG's list and many others, and is more current than Les Fils or Le Promesse (Hulu+). Somebody stop me....

The only film from the free list that might possibly work (but it doesn't, so I won't cover it), is The Ruling Class... the film where Peter O Toole thinks he's Jesus.

Ordet, which has a similar plot...

I am really enjoying that comparison.

Edited by Overstreet

I think Le Fils is on Netflix. Its in my streaming queue, unwatched. Sad, really, since I found time to watch the 76 King Kong remake and the last Star Trek Nex Gen movie, but not Le Fils. I think its the subtitles. Can't read while folding laundry or ironing.

Don't feel guilty. It's not there.

By the way, this may have been posted elsewhere, but this weekend only, Hulu is offering the entire Criterion Collection streaming for free.