Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

The Americans

Tyler   

Pilot is on Hulu.

The Americans is about two Russian spies (Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys) who have been living in the US for around 15 years when the show begins. It's set in 1981, so the soundtrack features Fleetwood Mac and Phil Collins, among others. Noah Emmerich plays a counter-terrorism agent who moves in across the street.

I'm not sure what I think of it so far. There are several interesting elements to the show, but I had a hard time buying Russell as a Russian in her training flashbacks (doesn't help that she looks pretty much the same age in both time periods, either). I've been gorging on Alias recently, so it's hard for me not to compare Russell to Lena Olin. I think the show is shot to look like it was made in the early 80s; if it's not, the cinematography is just really odd.

Anna J   

Tyler, did you see the most recent episode? I agree that the flashbacks are a little silly, but I am becoming fascinated with their marriage. Especially given the nature of conversations around here lately.

Anyone else watching this?

Tyler   

Last night's finale was just about perfect, even though I guessed the twist early on. The prospect of no more Margo Martindale is a little disappointing, but the show still has plenty of things still in play.

BethR   

CT review of The Americans (spoilers for seasons 1-3):

"The Christians, the Soviets, and the Bible."

The Americans is a great show for many reasons, but one of them is surely that it keeps its viewers off balance. Its conflicts are again and again refracted and transformed; like the many-pseudonymed, oft-bewigged Jennings themselves, it is always more than it appears to be. ...

Moreover, [teenage daughter] Paige’s storyline has allowed the show not only to explore generational conflicts with sometimes comic tenderness, but to pick up on a geopolitical conflict far more interesting than the one between Americans and Soviets.

Call it the war between the kingdom of Machiavelli and the kingdom of God.

Season 4 starts March 16 on FX.

BethR   

Tyler mentioned the series use of music above. The latest episode concluded with a very effective montage over "Under Pressure." The A.V. Club review notes how the entire episode tied in.

Hey all! (Been a while!).

I just wanted to share an essay that I recently wrote about where we stand after the most recent season of THE AMERICANS. Thought some of you all might be interested.

Joe Weisberg says his show is less about international relations and more about a marriage. I suspect this is only partly true. Watching Season 5, I realized that The Americans intimates something fundamental to national identities through its particular marital scope: Crucial to a healthy body politic is a recognition of the blessed discoveries—and dangers—of our corporeality.