Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars spin-off movies

Link to our thread on the spin-off movies Rogue One (2016) and untitled Han Solo origin story (2018).

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI, Episode VII, Episode VIII, Episode IX and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars, Rebels and the various rumoured other TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series).

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie?' (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), 'Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010).

Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that Disney is developing new Star Wars films *in addition to* the upcoming Episodes VII-IX, though he didn't specify whether any of the films would be focused on Yoda, as one rumour put it.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

NBooth   

I'm not sold on a Yoda movie, but I would totally like to see a noir set on Coruscant during the Clone Wars. WWII-style blackouts, dens of depravity, a lone Jedi [or even bounty hunter] who gets in over his head with some Very Dangerous People....

It practically writes itself.

I had already had my fill of STAR WARS prior to EP. VII being announced. With this new let's-have-endless-STAR-WARS-films approach, I have a feeling I'm going to be actively anti-STAR WARS in all its forms within a handful of years after the release of EP. VII.

NBooth   

Personally, I'm hoping Pruneface finally gets a movie [Robot Chicken. MILD Robot Chicken, but still. Keep that in mind when contemplating SFWness]:

Buckeye Jones wrote:

: More Ewok Adventures! Hooray!!1!!11

Heh, yeah, I was just thinking that these sorts of spin-offs used to be kept to all the *not*-big-screen formats.

NBooth wrote:

: Personally, I'm hoping Pruneface finally gets a movie . . .

Oh dear, I just had a thought. What if they handed all these spin-off movies to Kevin J. Anderson. He edited all those supporting-character anthologies in the mid-'90s, right? And he wrote that awful, awful 'Jedi Academy Trilogy' (and other books and comics besides). That's about what the franchise deserves at this point, methinks.

Lucas is working on updating the effects for a special edition Christmas special.

NBooth   

Honestly, the prospect of spin-offs gives a great opportunity to explore the world of Star Wars. The possibilities (as the EU has shown) are endless. How about the life of a pod racer? A peripheral Jedi who has to deal with local unrest? A spice miner at Kessel?

Think of the genre possibilities. I mentioned noir. We could also see a "Grand Hotel" style movie (to reference another thread) set on Alderaan. Or an Old West in Outer Space thing ala Firefly. Or a samurai flick. A not-terrible romance. A spy story.

Nah, we're going with Han Solo and Boba Fett. Boring and obvious is clearly safer.

Edited by NBooth

NBooth wrote:

: Honestly, the prospect of spin-offs gives a great opportunity to explore the world of Star Wars. The possibilities (as the EU has shown) are endless.

That would be fine if they were producing a TV series, which was obliged to crank out a couple dozen episodes every week. But each movie is going to have to be treated (or marketed) as an "event", and who really wants *that* many "events" in this franchise, especially with these fringe characters?

I mean, just look at how the big-screen Clone Wars turned out. Looking over our thread on that film, I was struck by the number of people who said their life-long enthusiasm for Star Wars pretty much died there. But that's the level of filmmaking we're pretty much going to have to expect from not-part-of-the-overall-saga standalone flicks.

Oh, and speaking of the precedent set by the EU... I refer you back to my taunting comments about Kevin J. Anderson.

NBooth   

Oh, and speaking of the precedent set by the EU... I refer you back to my taunting comments about Kevin J. Anderson.

Well, Sturgeon's Law and all that. I didn't mean that the EU had successfully exploited the possibilities--only that it showed that there are possibilities, which is another question entirely.

Attica   

Peter T Chattaway said:

:But that's the level of filmmaking we're pretty much going to have to expect from not-part-of-the-overall-saga standalone flicks.

Geez. I hope not. I'd like to think that there could be some well made, interesting standalone films. The idea of different styles and genres sounds nifty to me. I think your right though, with the idea that there is potential to give us overload with a bunch of new releases.

The interesting thing about this is that they could release a tonne of films but if they were done in different ways the public might not get as burnt out on them, at least as quick. It would be interesting to see how far they can push this, because I'm near sure modern Hollywood will try to milk as much out of it that they can.

I'm definitely up for exploring some more of the Star Wars universe and I can only hope that they've paid attention to the fans push back to some of the more awful elements of the prequel/sequels.

I really don't like the idea of spin off movies in the Star Wars galaxy. I think they should keep them as trilogies. "I have a bad feeling" that a spin-off just won't be any good.

But it'd be entertaining to see a movie about Rosh Penin because everybody hates that guy.

Think of the genre possibilities. I mentioned noir. We could also see a "Grand Hotel" style movie (to reference another thread) set on Alderaan. Or an Old West in Outer Space thing ala Firefly. Or a samurai flick. A not-terrible romance. A spy story.

Nah, we're going with Han Solo and Boba Fett. Boring and obvious is clearly safer.

Not sure how either of those is incompatable with the possibilities of genre exploration.

Peter T Chattaway said:

:But that's the level of filmmaking we're pretty much going to have to expect from not-part-of-the-overall-saga standalone flicks.

Geez. I hope not. I'd like to think that there could be some well made, interesting standalone films. The idea of different styles and genres sounds nifty to me. I think your right though, with the idea that there is potential to give us overload with a bunch of new releases.

The interesting thing about this is that they could release a tonne of films but if they were done in different ways the public might not get as burnt out on them, at least as quick. It would be interesting to see how far they can push this, because I'm near sure modern Hollywood will try to milk as much out of it that they can.

Most likely they would be kind of an X-Men origins type of thing. Which is to bad.

Attica   

Thom Wade said:

:Most likely they would be kind of an X-Men origins type of thing. Which is to bad.

Yeah. Maybe. That would certainly be the safe way to do it, but golly there is so much more that they could do with this.

I'd like to think that there could be some well made, interesting standalone films. The idea of different styles and genres sounds nifty to me. I think your right though, with the idea that there is potential to give us overload with a bunch of new releases.

I'm definitely up for exploring some more of the Star Wars universe and I can only hope that they've paid attention to the fans push back to some of the more awful elements of the prequel/sequels.

I wonder how much, if any, of the success of Marvel's growing cinematic universe has had on this decision...

Disney Confirms Unimaginative, Boring Plan To Make 'Star Wars' Spinoffs “Origin Story Films”

Disney chief financial officer Jay Rasulo spoke today during the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference and reassured the room full of moneymen worried about their stock portfolios that, “of all our worries, ‘Star Wars’ is not one of them.” And it's a very telling statement considering he re-confirmed "Star Wars" release plans, which will see a sequel and spinoff released in alternating years, with the latter to be an “origin story film.” Sigh. And from a totally cynical, depressing point of view, it makes complete sense.

Why was a "Cars" sequel and a "Planes" spinoff made? For the simple reason that the licensing from that franchise rakes it in more than any other Pixar title. And when it comes to Lucasfilm, which Disney bought, what will be the easiest, most boring way to cash in on that $4 billion investment? Keep printing the money that fans are already spending on all manner of products featuring the iconic characters. It's just simple math at the end of the day, and the safest course of action for Disney execs and shareholders (joke is on you if you think this is about what the fans want). . . .

Oh, but wait, J.J. Abrams is at the head of the ship, and he surely will do something bold and original to set the stage for the rest of the films. Um, did you see "Star Trek Into The Darkness"? Talk about one of the most crass blockbusters this summer, devoid of anything fresh. More crucially, it resurrected a classic 'Trek' villain, and we'd be willing to bet heavy dollars that somewhere in these origin story prequels, Darth Vader's shadow will be looming. . . .

The Playlist, September 12

The only thing I could imagine that might be fun is a "Young Han Solo" film set years before Ep 4. But I cannot think of any other character that I would care about more of their back story. Young Luke Skywalker about a kid who wishes he could join the rebellion instead of the boring life we get to watch.