Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Top 25 Marriage Films Page, Live Now!

Here's the page for y'all to take a look. Please comment on this thread or email me at johnsa2@spu.edu with edits.

Please do not post this list publicly yet; we are revealing it in a few hours at approx. 6am PST 1am PST with the accompanying blog post.

(M. Leary's post is not linked yet, but will be within the hour.)

I know. Most of them are not too bad though, and have an almost-unnoticeable sliver. But perhaps they look different to you? Could you screencap it?

P.S. Perhaps I should have stuck to a character limit instead of "2-3 sentences" because y'all can be quite verbose. Heh.

Here's what I see on my Mac in Firefox. Chrome display is similar. Scaling doesn't really affect the issue; fonts and images scale proportionately.

screen1.png

More:

screen2.png

P.S. Perhaps I should have stuck to a character limit instead of "2-3 sentences" because y'all can be quite verbose. Heh.

FWIW, I followed word-count guidelines averaged from previous top 25 lists. It didn't help; my entries are among the long offenders.

I can submit edits to save at least a line and maybe two from my entries.

Typos/grammar/style:

Voyage to Italy: "wandering 2hrough the rubble-strewn," should be "wandering through"

Sunrise: "beating heart which audiences" should maybe be "beating heart that audiences" (personal style thing)

Friendly Persuasion: "in the way encounter" should be "in the way they encounter"

Another Year: "a happily married couple as they work" should be a comma after "couple"

Tender Mercies: "wanders into the the hearts" take out one "the"; not sure if "successful" is the correct word in the next sentence (I haven't seen the movie, but it doesn't seem to make sense contextually)

Husbands: It's not clear Cassavetes also starred in the movie, if that's important

Tuesday, After Christmas: "marked by gestures, conversations, and setting" should "settings" for parallelism

Ali: The phrase "cross-cultural, cross-generational" is used in the middle and again at the end, which doesn't sound right to me

Hah. Mine look like this:

marriage.png

I think we'll just have to deal with the offsets for now. I might be able to get it fixed so that the extra space is just grey instead of repeating the image.

Haha 2hrough?? Thanks Tyler et al.

Checking on the Firefox thing right now.

It's not Firefox. It's MacOS. My images reflect essentially what I see in Chrome, Firefox or Safari. The same margins appear for all three browsers.

It's not Firefox. It's MacOS. My images reflect essentially what I see in Chrome, Firefox or Safari. The same margins appear for all three browsers.

Oh, I was referring to Nick's post.

I don't think there's anything I can do about the margins, especially with no Mac at hand. Perhaps over the next couple weeks.

Typos/grammar/style:

Tyler, want a job? tongue.png

You have one to offer?

Only a recommendation. But you wouldn't want it. Haha.

As for the display: IE, Safari, Firefox and Chrome all have idiosyncrasies amongst each other AND whether they're being used on a Mac or PC. My advice: Let Anna know what version browser and what platform you're using. The web developer can then troubleshoot for the specific issue.

My MAC is picking up the same as SDG in ICab.

My MAC is picking up the same as SDG in ICab.

I had to look iCab up! Ha. I've never even heard of it, let alone troubleshoot for it before. Opera, however, I have always kept a flame burning for...

Grammar nitpick: Shouldn't M. Leary's essay refer to "my wife and me" rather than "my wife and I"?

I know you've been cooped up for awhile, but what do you think of what we've done wit the place, Pandora?

Yes, thanks, Peter.

Ok, this is going live in about an hour. Other edits will be done tomorrow. (I still have to edit the other Top pages to link through to Marriage as well as the other network of Top pages)

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote:

: I know you've been cooped up for awhile, but what do you think of what we've done wit the place, Pandora?

I... don't get the reference.

Anna J wrote:

: Ok, this is going live in about an hour.

FWIW, it seems to have been live for a few hours already. M. Leary's Good Letters essay, with the link to the list, popped up in my Google Reader news feed at 9:03pm.

Oh, I just noticed something else. I don't know what the precise HTML term for this is, but the "title" or whatever for the Top 25 page -- the thing that appears in the tab at the top of the browser -- currently says "The Arts & Faith Top 25 Road Films". Which reminds me of how, for years, my essay on the first two Terminator films has had the words "Ben Harper" up in the tab. :)

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote:

: I know you've been cooped up for awhile, but what do you think of what we've done wit the place, Pandora?

I... don't get the reference.

It's a Greek thing. Don't worry about it.

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

Yeah, a direct link to the list shows up as "road films" when you try to post it on Facebook because of what Peter mentioned a couple of posts ago.

Also, the images for the films still don't show up on Firefox, fwiw. (IE works fine, and I'm assuming that as far as this issue goes, it works fine for the other browsers as well).

I'm seeing the images fine on Firefox for both MacOS and Windows. Same for other browsers. If the images aren't showing up for some users, I'm not sure why that would be.

I do see that the image tiling problem I highlighted is reduced on Windows.

I'm seeing the images fine on Firefox ...

Same here.

Great job, everyone. Thanks to Anna and the Image staff for getting this up 2 days before Valentine's Day. It's really great timing.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this