Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Top 25 Marriage Films - What People Are Saying

What are you hearing or reading about this list? Share any links or comments you come across.

One of my co-workers read it this morning and said that she would have nominated Nowhere in Africa, her "favorite movie about marriage." I'll have to go back and check. Was that one nominated? I haven't seen it, so the suggestion wouldn't have come from me.

Film blogger Joseph Susanka on Twitter:

I have a few caveats, @Overstweet, but it's a great list. (CERTIFIED COPY could be high on so many different compilations, couldn't it?)

Love seeing HOBSON'S CHOICE included. One of my favorites. (Also, IN AMERICA.) But TOKYO STORY will always be the first answer.

Attica   

My hunch is that people are going to be talking more about this list than the other top 25 lists. Partially because of the subject and the intruiging content of the list. But also, I suspect, because the Artsandfaith community is becoming more widely know, partially of course because of the other lists.

I'm excited to see what happens with this.

Anders   

I had one comment on my Facebook post that the person hadn't seen any of the films, or even heard of most of them. So, encouragement to seek some films out, I hope?

I've prompted some interested feedback from some of my favorite critics.

Matt Zoller Seitz suggests Iris and Fargo. He adds,

REAR WINDOW is a great film about marriage, or perhaps fear of it.

Richard Brody suggests Hawks's Monkey Business; A Letter to Three Wives; The Mother and the Whore; Rear Window; There's Always Tomorrow; That Uncertain Feeling; Von Heute auf Morgen; Le Bonheur; Hélas pour moi.

And, above all: A New Leaf."

Glenn Kenny responds:

Shoot The Moon, Une partie de plaisir...just kidding! How bout Adam's Rib, people?
Edited by Overstreet

I've prompted some interested feedback from some of my favorite critics.

Matt Zoller Seitz suggests Iris and Fargo. He adds,

I wish I'd had the time to argue harder for Fargo. Oh well... new job and all the time it has taken up put a hold on that.

Is Richard Brody referring to our list when he writes this recommendation for what to watch during Hulu's free-Criterion weekend?

“Le Bonheur”

Just two days ago, Valentine’s Day, talk on Twitter turned to the best movies about marriage; foremost on the list were two, one of which—this wickedly ironic romance, by Agnès Varda, from 1965, about a seemingly happy couple’s dissolution—is here on the Criterion list. It’s one of the greatest applications of color cinematography of the day; it’s a work of analytical cinephilia that challenges the men’s club of the French New Wave; it’s a sociological sounding of working-class France that builds its sample, fictionally, from the ground up. (The other, Elaine May’s “A New Leaf,” isn’t a Criterion film.)

I'm pretty sure he is, yes. He and Seitz and Sicisnki and Kenny were all interacting in response to my nudge about the list.

Edited by Overstreet

Yeah, that's what I thought. I wish he'd specified our list in his blog, even if he wanted to dispute it by naming his own choices that didn't make our list.

Well, technically, he isn't referring to *our* list; when he says "foremost on the list", he's referring to *his* list of titles that didn't make our list (or, perhaps more broadly, he's referring to the list of titles that he and others came up with that did not make our list).

This doesn't mention us, but it reviews Jeanine Basinger's book and contains good lines like:

At some point it occurred to me that if I were to make a movie about marriage, its title might well be: “Nodding and Trying to Look Interested."

and

Beyond attraction, there was respect: each saw the other as the most interesting person in the room.

Ray Pride links to the list at Movie City News by using this headline:

Patheos Posts “Top 25 Films About Marriage” As Fifty Shades Sets To Smash Passion Of The Christ‘s February Box-Office Record

Huh??

That link is two years old, and Ray mentions it like it's brand new.

I can't say for sure, but Ray is a Facebook friend and may have seen my recent re-post of the list, triggered, I think, by Evan's repost of the list. 

The link title is kind of snarky, but I like the attention. I hadn't noticed the link until today, when Ray posted on social media about his news links. I followed the link to catch up, and voila.

Evan C   

Huh??

That link is two years old, and Ray mentions it like it's brand new.

I can't say for sure, but Ray is a Facebook friend and may have seen my recent re-post of the list, triggered, I think, by Evan's repost of the list. 

Unless you mean a different Evan, I didn't repost the marriage list, although I do recall "liking" someone's recent repost of it on Facebook.

FWIW,  before I went to bed last night I saw that Scott Derrickson had also re-posted this list in a FB link....

An unlikely and truly extraordinary list - Arts & Faith's TOP 25 FILMS ABOUT MARRIAGE

Very positive feedback, although this response left me scratching my head...

How sad that so many are so old.

I'm not sure if the poster doesn't like older films, or is saddened that newer films don't seem to address the subject as well as the older ones.

I'm not sure if the poster doesn't like older films, or is saddened that newer films don't seem to address the subject as well as the older ones.

In fairness to the poster, there hasn't been a whole lot of recent quality romantic comedies either.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this