Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Live Oscars Chat, Sunday, February 24, 2013!

The 85th Annual Academy Awards, folks! The past few years have been a delight and I'm glad to host it again.

We'll gather around 5:00 PST, in a chat room TBD.

Does anyone have any suggestions for chat software this year? In the past sometimes it has been...unimpressive. Or if you prefer a software we used in the past, let me know.

Personally, I prefer Tinychat. If you have to leave the room it remembers you.

Alas, I have no ideas re: software.

I vaguely recall that at least one of our earlier forays used software that limited the number of people who could participate -- is that a necessary feature, or is there chat software that allows for a larger group?

Tinychat has a limit of like 200, I think. Or more.

(ETA: Tinychat is kind of creepy though, now that I see the homepage...)

Has anyone ever used CoverItLive?

Well, it looks like Tinychat will allow unlimited users, but it's a little difficult to navigate the logon because it tries to trick you into signing in via Facebook. Also it limits the comments to like 100 characters each. Which is super annoying because you have to break up your sentences.

CoveritLive allows long comments, and can be embedded here, which is cool, but only allows 25 unmoderated users. (the rest have to have each comment approved by the moderator.)

Still looking around...

Enjoy the chat. I've decided I'm going out to watch Lincoln a second time on the big screen tomorrow night. It will be a wonderful evening, and it'll help me forget the Oscars are even happening.

I think I like Rumbletalk! I can embed it on our Facebook page and on our blog, although not here. You can log in using Facebook, Twitter, or Guest. This is what I will probably use unless anyone else has any other suggestions before tomorrow.

I usually love disrupting your convos but this year Ima be on a train. :(

I enjoyed the discussion last year, but my participation will be limited. We're having a few people over to watch with us and my wife frowns on me being on the computer while company is over.