The Personal Promise Bible

This appears to be a real thing.

According to the promo video, the Personal Promise Bible will insert your name into over 7000 Bible verses. For example:

By which He has granted to Joe His precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these Joe may become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

2 Peter 1:4

I found this via Rachel Held Evans, who makes several good points about how this product represents a misunderstanding of the Bible on some very basic levels.

Strangely, the promo video does not use this song:

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I love the advertising like "Are you ready to take reading your Bible to a whole new level? ... It’s life changing ... The Bible comes alive with a whole new depth of meaning ... Your devotional time will be transformed ... It’s a truly unique way to understand God’s love."

This will sell.

I'm entering silly things in the 'get a sample verse' box. Forgive me.

By which He has granted to members of the Arts and Faith Message Board His precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these members of the Arts and Faith Message Board may become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

I'm entering silly things in the 'get a sample verse' box. Forgive me.

By which He has granted to members of the Arts and Faith Message Board His precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these members of the Arts and Faith Message Board may become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

I see what you did there, and raise you this:

By which He has granted to lucifer His precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these lucifer may become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Oh snap.

Also liked, from a commenter on Rachel Held Evans' blog, the "personal judgment Bible" :

But just as all the good things the Lord his God has promised Jake have come to Jake, so he will bring on Jake all the evil things he has threatened, until the Lord his God has destroyed Jake from this good land he has given Jake. 16 If Jake violates the covenant of the Lord his God, which he commanded him, and he goes and serves other gods and bows down to them, the Lord’s anger will burn against Jake, and Jake will quickly perish from the good land he has given Jake.

FWIW, I've seen pastors do this in a lot of churches anyway ("This is for you! I want you to replace 'you' with your name!"). So this is more or less a case of someone finding a way to market an already-existing trend in a certain part of the subculture. Not sure if that makes it better or worse, but there you go.