Rushmore

RSS readers

I've been using Feeddler on my iPad, but I'm trying out Feedly, and it's pretty good. Feedly also has a web version. Feedly has a variety of ways to view your feed, and is very graphically pleasing.

I really don't like Feedly. Too much white space. I'm trying out The Old Reader. It hasn't added my subscriptions yet. I suppose I could do it all manually. So far it seems to be just a slightly improved version of Google Reader, which is fine with me.

No matter what we do, I don't think we can take the Google Reader *archives* with us, right? Just the list of RSS feeds?

If anything is confirming my doubts about "the cloud", this is it. I've been using Google Reader for, um, at least seven years now, maybe even longer, and one of the beauties of it is that I can run searches of the archives whenever I want (which can be helpful when I've accidentally marked a post as "read", or when one of the sites I follow deletes one of its posts; the post in question may vanish from the feed, but it's still there in the archives...).

So basically, now that Google is dumping Reader, I will no longer have access to those archives, right?

Should anyone be feeling safe about their Gmail right now? Or is that more "secure" because Google actually lets people *pay* for it?

opus   

Peter, have you ever considered using something like Pinboard for storing/archiving links, articles, etc.? I use that in conjunction with Google Reader (and now Feedly), and have found it to be a pretty decent system.

I really don't like Feedly. Too much white space. I'm trying out The Old Reader. It hasn't added my subscriptions yet. I suppose I could do it all manually. So far it seems to be just a slightly improved version of Google Reader, which is fine with me.

I felt the same way, but I've been playing with the various configuration options and have found a setting I like. It's definitely grown on me. However, I don't think there's anything as "too much white space". ;)

NBooth   

I've been trying to use Brief, but either it's too sophisticated for me or it isn't sophisticated enough. I'm on The Old Reader's import list, so we'll see how that goes. I'm also giving Feedly a try.

Edited by NBooth

By far my favorite RSS reader is the "NewsRob" app, which is an Android exclusive. Mariano, the app's creator, has assured us it will continue to work, although it's not guaranteed it will sync using an alternative API like the one Feedly has planned.

opus   

By far my favorite RSS reader is the "NewsRob" app, which is an Android exclusive. Mariano, the app's creator, has assured us it will continue to work, although it's not guaranteed it will sync using an alternative API like the one Feedly has planned.

Similarly, I love Reeder for iOS. The developer has also assured users that it'll work after Google Reader's death, but hasn't provided many details beyond that.

opus wrote:

: Peter, have you ever considered using something like Pinboard for storing/archiving links, articles, etc.? I use that in conjunction with Google Reader (and now Feedly), and have found it to be a pretty decent system.

Would I have to manually choose which articles to store, etc.? The beauty of Google Reader was that it just kept *everything* in the cloud, if I ever wanted to search for something and wasn't sure where it was. (I never "starred" anything, I just ran the occasional search if I needed to dig something up.)

opus   

Yes, you'd have to manually "pin" articles. It's somewhat akin to "starring" articles in Google Reader, but with a bit of added functionality (e.g., tagging, descriptions, publishing your pins on other sites).

Rushmore   

I settled on the web version of Feedly and have been using it happily for a couple years...but I've run into a problem. Occasionally I try to add a feed for a small site/blog, and won't be able to do it. It'll just say "No feed found," which is silly because I'm putting in theĀ URL for an RSS feed that I copied and pasted straight from the browser's URL bar. The feed definitely exists: I have it open in my browser. But Feedly won't pick it up.

So for now perhaps I'll try going back to The Old Reader (which doesn't seem to have the same issue) until I find my way around this problem.