Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Link to the thread on the previous Mad Max movies.

- - -

End of the Road for 'Fury Road'
Mad Max: Fury Road, which was to have returned Mel Gibson to the role he made famous in three Australian-filmed action flicks in the late '70s and early '80s, has been scrapped, published reports in Australia said Sunday. Although hundreds of thousands of dollars had already been spent on development of the film, work was halted last week reportedly because of logistical difficulties. Originally set to film last July in Namibia, the production was postponed because of security concerns. Oddly, Namibia, which is mostly Christian and is located in southern Africa, is not regarded as a terrorist target, and no security advisories have been issued for the country. Principal filming had been scheduled for the Kalahari desert, which is sparsely populated. Director George Miller said Sunday that filming could not take place elsewhere because the Kalahari uniquely offers a hard surface for the vehicles that were to be used in the movie. Elsewhere, they would have bogged down, he said.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Bummer. I guess this is the end of the road for Mad Max threads on the board too.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Not unless we all have a Mad Max Trilogy Day or something. smile.gif

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Bummer. I guess this is the end of the road for Mad Max threads on the board too.

Not as long as there are stories like this to be told...

Spooked motorists called police to report a scene so bizarre it could've come from a movie: a convoy of armed men apparently trying to hijack a tanker truck.

In fact, it did come from a movie.

"Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior," to be exact.

Eleven "Mad Max" movie buffs were arrested and charged Saturday afternoon with obstruction of a highway during their theatrical convoy from Boerne to the Alamo Draft House in San Antonio for a movie marathon.

The guns were fake and the tanker truck was part of the act, but two of the collared movie buffs were also charged with possession of prohibited knives.

The convoy was part of an event dubbed "Road War 151," which was to culminate with the movie marathon.

The marathon was canceled after the arrests.

Full story here. Registration required.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

This project may not be completely dead. In a Sunday LA DAily News article for George Miller's Happy Feet, Miller was asked about the possibility of Fury Road still being made. Paraphrasing here, Miller said that he would still like to make the film, but has one project he wants to do first before Fury Road would be attempted again. Miller also said that he would most likely replace Mel Gibson, feeling that Mel would be a little to old for the role by the time it gets around to being filmed. If I can find a link to the article, I'll make an edit here.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Anne Thompson has a similar report but mentions that Miller has two projects he wants to make before revisiting Mad Max.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Reboot to be animated (not news), to be followed up by a similar video game (new news).

As a fan of the series, I am willing to change what would probably have been just a larger budget rehash of Thunderdome for a decent PC game.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

And now more rumors...

E! Online - Tom Hardy and Charlize Theronis ready to go beyond Thunderdome. Mel Gibson, not so much.

Multiple sources tell E! News that the Oscar-winning babe is director George Miller's pick to play the lead female role in the upcoming, Mel-less Mad Max 4.

Full article here.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Which iteration is this? 3? 4? And now Miller is ready to compromise with a Mad [fill in the blank]? Now I understand why all Star Wars fans are so put off by Jar Jar.

Edited by MLeary

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Which iteration is this? 3? 4? And now Miller is ready to compromise with a Mad [fill in the blank]? Now I understand why all Star Wars fans are so put off by Jar Jar.

Meet Mad Mark. He'll be played by Roddy Piper in his comeback role.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Meet Mad Mark. He'll be played by Roddy Piper in his comeback role.

Tagline for the poster... "He's mad... and he's all out of bubblegum!"

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

At the end of the film, Mark will bait and switch the homo-erotic gang intent on pillaging their bubblegum supplies by sending out a decoy truck they think is filled with bubblegum, while the town escapes to freedom the other direction.

Edited by MLeary

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

This is now starting to sound like a much cooler film.... Go, Mark!

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Story on the preproduction of Mad Max 4, from ABC News Australia. This was aired last Friday, and it seems like they've been working on this for nearly a year now (at least on the vehicles).

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

If they have a cow-print car in the trailer, I will go see this film. Otherwise, I will be even less interested.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Nicholas Foult joins 'Mad Max' movie

Nicholas Hoult is walking "Fury Road," the new "Mad Max" movie from series writer-director George Miller.

Zoe Kravitz, Teresa Palmer and Adelaide Clemens also are in various states of negotiations to join the actioner.

The movie is set a short while after the story detailed in 1985's "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome," which keeps Mad Max, the character originated by Mel Gibson, relatively young.

Details are being kept quiet, but it is known that Hoult's character is named Nux. Kravitz, whose character's name is Five Wives, Palmer and Clemens are in a convoy being chased by bad guys. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, January 27

No news on the cow-print car? Until then, this film does not exist.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

No news on the cow-print car? Until then, this film does not exist.

It is my belief that YOU do not exist.

So... No Mel, right?

I think I read in the newspaper that he said he wouldn't even do a cameo, that it would be too cheesy.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

And... count Patrick Stewart in on the fun.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

MLeary wrote:

: And... count Patrick Stewart in on the fun.

Got a link for that? I've heard this rumour, and I've heard it reported as rumour, but I haven't heard it reported as fact yet.

FWIW, I believe Mad Max: Fury Road WILL star Tom Hardy, who played a clone of Patrick Stewart in Star Trek: Nemesis.

Well, still more a rumor.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

George Miller Following MAD MAX: FURY ROAD With MAD MAX: FURIOSA!

Twitch has just learned that George Miller is working on not one but TWO new Mad Max films, the duo slated to be shot back to back.

Twitch, July 2

Fury Road is on a slow simmer

NOT even a flood of biblical proportions is enough to halt Mad Max's relentless quest for vengeance.

Director George Miller said that Fury Road, the fourth instalment in his groundbreaking Australian franchise, had not been jeopardised by extended delays caused by extreme weather patterns.

"We've built the vehicles. We've designed the movie. The principal cast is locked in. The film is funded. It's all ready to go. We just wait," Miller said yesterday in Sydney, where he is currently in production on Happy Feet 2.

The filmmaker was to have started filming Mad Max: Fury Road in Broken Hill in January -- until heavy rain broke a decade-long drought, turning the apocalyptic landscape into a flower garden.

Since then, the weather conditions have become even less film friendly. . . .

The NSW filmmaker said he and Warner Bros, the studio with which he is also working on Happy Feet 2, had agreed to a 12-month delay.

"We will restart pre-production later this year and begin early next year -- weather permitting," he said. . . .

Daily Telegraph, March 3

This works for me. Edited by Attica