Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plot and cast details, including this: "It is based on the Word Burgers of the History Men and eyewitness accounts of those who survived."

Is it just me, or does that sentence make no sense?

I'm sure it's some sort of fancy future lingo for "It's based on the words of historians as well as eyewitness accounts." If you want to sound post-apocalyptic, be sure to jumble up your Word Burgers.

"History Men" is a lame substitute for "historian," but I'm kinda fond of Word Burger. I want to use it in conversation now: Word Burger.

Edited by NBooth
  • 2 months later...

Warner Bros. Sends 'Studio Representative' to Namibia to Keep 'Fury Road' on Track (Exclusive)

Fury Road is proving to have a few potholes.

The fourth Mad Max movie, being made by Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow, is in production in far-off Namibia with George Miller at the helm. But according to sources, the production has veered off schedule and is running over budget. And Warner Bros. is making sure the problem doesn't escalate. Studio head Jeff Robinov flew to the Africa set a few weeks ago to evaluate the film, which sources say had fallen at least five days behind schedule.

And to chart a course correction, producer Denise di Novi has been dispatched to the set to supervise. Warner Bros., in confirming Di Novi’s involvement to The Hollywood Reporter, is calling her a “studio representative” who will serve as the eyes and ears of Warners as production continues. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, October 19

- - -

Is this, like, the oldest thread we have for a movie that is still being made?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Is this, like, the oldest thread we have for a movie that is still being made?

I think so. It's a month and two days older than the thread I started for The Hobbit.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 3 months later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Works for me.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Coming out May 2015.

Wait, hasn't this already been shot? Was it not shot in 2012, at least a year ago? Why do we have to wait another year and a half before it comes to theatres? Is there lots and lots of CGI involved? (If so, that would kind of shock me, actually.)

Coming out May 2015.

Wait, hasn't this already been shot? Was it not shot in 2012, at least a year ago? Why do we have to wait another year and a half before it comes to theatres? Is there lots and lots of CGI involved? (If so, that would kind of shock me, actually.)

This may have something to do with the delay (?)....

Tom Hardy Teases Additional Shooting for Mad Max: Fury Road

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I had heard about the reshoots, but reshoots alone shouldn't impose a year-and-a-half delay on finishing the film. Then again, apparently Hardy said: "...well not reshoots actually, but doing more." Sounds like they're substantially overhauling the film. Maybe they're even shooting it all over again, as happened with Woody Allen's September and the prequel to The Exorcist (the original Paul Schrader version of which was ultimately released as Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist, the year after Renny Harlin's Exorcist: The Beginning came out).

I'm wondering if it's possible that Miller could be shooting two films at once, a la The Three (and The Four) Musketeers.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

• 2 weeks later...

Soccer's the culprit?

Rather than compete with the FIFA World Cup next year, the studio has claimed a prime American summer slot in May 2015 that became vacant when J.J. Abram's new Star Wars movie was postponed.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

• 7 months later...

I've had the video, which I tried to watch at Indiewire, crash my browser three times this morning.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 1 month later...

Some images and posters for the film.  Gosh this is looking good.

• 3 months later...

I love Jeffrey Wells' use of the term "butterscotch orange".

ETA: Sorry, that's "Wonderfully luscious amber-butterscotch colors."

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

So looking at the cast list, it doesn't appear George Miller found anything for Bruce Spence (the Gyro Captain, and Jedediah the pilot) to do in this new film.  But I hadn't realized that Hugh Keays-Byrne, who played the Toecutter in Mad Max....

toecutter.jpg

... is playing this guy (Immorton Joe) in Fury Road...

joe-furyroad_zps21e58b83.jpg

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Toecutter. 

I am tempted to go all PTC posting on Exodus on this trailer. There is Toecutter. Why does he still have an Interceptor? He still has it in Road Warrior, which is a principle connection with the origin story of Max and his madness. But it is... destroyed at the end of Road Warrior. Since it is a car specifically designed for Max in the first film, what is the backstory here?

The film is supposed to fall shortly after Thunderdome on the timeline, but the trailer is quite confusing in this respect. We do find Max spared by Auntie at the end of that film, wandering off to wherever. So I guess it fits.

But then that undoes the genius of the trilogy arc, which ends with a hopeful apocalyptic tale of a Sydney reborn by the storytelling of children. 

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Maybe this will have some connection to the civilization in Sydney that has been rebuilt.

I'm not sure if that actor is playing Toecutter though, but rather the same actor playing a different character.  Hopefully the film will handle it in a way that isn't confusing.

The car is a bit of a conundrum.  Maybe those shots with it are a flashback?