Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Toecutter dies in Mad Max, though I am just going to accept the idea this is Toecutter reincarnate.

I realize that this gripe will probably register for few - but there are some for whom Mad Max is their Star Wars or Star Trek. The presence of the Interceptor here is kind of like having the Millenium Falcon destroyed in one installment of Star Wars only to have it pop up again in a later "reboot" film without any explanation. Sure, the Millenium Falcon could be rebuilt. The Interceptor also. But the idea that he could find a Falcon body, put a lift kit on it, and rebuild an engine with the dual cams and blower and everything given the drought on car parts and gasoline, etc... is really hard to swallow. 

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, Miller had considered rebooting the franchise by remaking Mad Max. He decided instead just to pick up with the end of Thunderdome so that we could continue to watch Max in the wilderness. This would make this film closest to a Road Warrior remake. Can't think of another example of the middle of a trilogy being remade.

The major difference, as far as I can tell, is that Theron's character has an actual destination - which may or may not be Sydney. I hope it is, as this could bring successive films back in line with the Thunderdome storyline.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Oh, and one more thing. Jarre's soundtrack for Thunderdome was very much a part of what makes the film so unique. May's soundtracks for the prior two films were similarly evocative, though far more classic in tone. (In fact, May's score often carries the scenes in which Max makes key decisions, like this.)

The soundtrack for Fury Road by Junkie XL has some pretty good industrial elements, but sounds like pretty generic Zimmerish stuff. Since the scores were a big part of processing the trilogy, I hope we have the same craftsmanship present here.

Edited by M. Leary

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Wasn't Thunderdome considered to be a quasi reboot of Road Warrior, under the Hollywood system?    FWIW, the Road Warrior was a pretty important movie for me, not at the level of Star Wars, of course.

Your in for a treat.  They're great films.

Toecutter dies in Mad Max, though I am just going to accept the idea this is Toecutter reincarnate.

There seems to be some confusion here.  Actor Hugh Keays-Byrne is not playing Toecutter in Fury Road.  He's playing a character named Immorton Joe (which I wrote in the post that seems to have caused the confusion).  I was just pointing out that George Miller did something similar with actor Bruce Spence, who played two different, but very similar characters in The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

M Leary wrote:
: Can't think of another example of the middle of a trilogy being remade.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a remake of the fourth movie in the five-movie Planet of the Apes series. And if you think of the third-fourth-fifth Apes movies as a trilogy unto themselves (which they sort of are)...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The only thing that would improve this trailer is "From the director of Happy Feet Two and Babe: Pig in the City..."

Then to call it Furry Road.

Yeah, my joke in response didn't translate well.

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FwA-Mt4iXU

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 2 months later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Yeah, I am not very excited about this remake and I am finding it difficult to convince myself of any value. Even though it would be nice for Hollywood to be more original than remakes and continuations I also recognize how much my childhood is tied to the original film, so it makes it that much more difficult. I was also very attracted to the Australian aesthetics of film from that era, more so than Hollywood at the time.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the zombie's in this version though wink.png

Edited by Thom

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

• 4 weeks later...

This may make me break my habit of refusing to watch movies in the theater alone, as my wife would not touch this film with a 200 foot pole.

Same here. My wife no desire to watch any other Max-related films, let alone this one.

Anyway, when I saw the guy with the flamethrower/guitar, I almost threw month at the screen. I'm in.

Oh wow. It is like all my childhood cinematic dreams are coming true. Mad Max was always to me what Star Wars was for others. And our reboot looks way better.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

As I mentioned to Opus earlier, the trailer, while making the film look worthy of its predecessors, exhausted me well before the 1-minute mark.

Maybe I'm just too old for this s&^!.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

If Miller wasn't directing this I'd be more worried. I like Hardy and Theron, and the action looks spectacular, but Hoult's already annoying me in these trailers and it does look downright exhausting. Still, I'll be checking it out.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Awhile back I read an interview with Miller.  He said that this film had very little dialogue like the other Mad Max films (especially the 2n'd), but that it was faster paced than the others.  The first sits just fine with me.  The second, well, I really liked the pacing of those old films.  My concern is that this film will be so fast paced, with so much action, that it doesn't have time to breathe and capture the essence of the story, like the other ones did so well.

But anyways.  The trailer is really, really, killer, and Hardy looks like he might hit this one out of the park.  There's a nice sense of having the old and fresh at the same time.

Edited by Attica

Despite the fact that this story takes place entirely within a few hundred miles of desert, it looks way more EPIC than a lot of recent blockbusters that span continents and planets and even galaxies. Wow.

EDIT: Also, weren't all of the previous Mad Max movies on Netflix streaming not long ago? That is no longer the case.  :(  I'd like to revisit.

Edited by morgan1098