Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler

Sense8

11 posts in this topic

Doh! Tyler beat me to it by a minute!

Details:

The sci-fi drama will focus on eight people scattered around the globe who are connected by a shared — violent — vision. (Because it’s never a vision of kittens, is it?) Each episode — shot in the UK, Seoul, Mumbai, Nairobi, Berlin, Mexico City, San Francisco and Chicago — will follow the characters’ separate stories, even as one entity tries to bring the octet together and another tries to kill them.

Among the regulars (as yet uncast) are: a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk, an Icelandic party girl, a German safe-cracker, a Korean businesswoman, an African bus driver and a transgender American blogger (a la Lana?). Perhaps most intriguing, though, are Jonas, an apparently magic African-American who appears to all of the “visionaries,” and his evil counterpart, Mr. Whispers (arguably the best-named villain since The X-Files’ Cigarette-Smoking Man).

"The writer of Changeling"? If you're trying to sell a sci-fi series, wouldn't something like "The writer of Babylon 5" be more appropriate? I mean, who even *remembers* Changeling, now that the 2008 Oscar-campaign season is over?

"The writer of Changeling"? If you're trying to sell a sci-fi series, wouldn't something like "The writer of Babylon 5" be more appropriate? I mean, who even *remembers* Changeling, now that the 2008 Oscar-campaign season is over?

Yeah, I thought that was strange, too.

I finished it this afternoon. Everything looks great and it's really ambitious, and it balances each storyline pretty well, although some are stronger than others. There's a weird disconnect between the characters' personal stories and how they discover their connections, and the conspiracy element which really only comes in with the final third of the season. The show never develops the bad guys enough, so why they're trying to do what they're doing isn't clear.

Overall, it's more of the "admired the reach but wanted more from the grasp" that I expect from the Wachowskis, although the longer format does allow them to develop things more.

BTW, there are several rather explicit sex scenes, and the most graphic birth footage I've ever seen.

Edited by Tyler

Cancelled

On a cliffhanger too. Hopefully will get a finale movie like we did with Firefly at least, the Wachowski's certainly could pull that off. 

I liked the show but it was never a major favorite...still I appreciated the diversity and representation, though I dunno, something about it just never clicked for me. I think it had too many stories and some of them were rather stereotypical and cliche. If it had just been a show about Nomi, Lito, or Sun I would have liked it more. I also enjoyed Capheus in the first season, but I understand why they let that actor go...the one that replaced him never caught on for me though.

As Justin predicted, Netflix opted to give the show a 2-hour finale

I broke my A&F hiatus just to report this! I grew to love this show, warts and all. And man, there were a lot of warts. The show was able to reach emotional highs so often, though, that I fell for it hard. 

I haven't watched the show, but I'm glad its fans will get some closure.