Independence Day: Resurgence

Yes, sequels, as in two of them.

EW.com:

Emmerich, whose action-packed White House Down hits theaters June 28, says he plans to wreak a new round of havoc in two sequels – ID Forever Part 1 and ID Forever Part II. The filmstake place 20 years after the original, when a distress call sent by the first wave of aliens finally brings reinforcements to Earth. ”The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back,” explains the director, who completed two scripts with Independence Day co-writer Dean Devlin and has given them to White House Down writer-producer James Vanderbilt for a rewrite. ”And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that’s 20 or 25 years.”

“It’s a changed world. It’s like parallel history. [Humans] have harnessed all this alien technology. We don’t know how to duplicate it because it’s organically-grown technology, but we know how to take an antigravity device and put it in a human airplane,”

In other words, it will be exactly like Stalker.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Surely the title will really be ID4ever?

After the mass destruction of the original Independence Day, what’s left for new aliens to destroy? “We’ve rebuilt,” Emmerich answers, with a smile. “But [the aliens] also do different things.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1MAokrrUk Edited by NBooth
  • 2 months later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I would love to see Bill Pullman have more of a role in the next one, with Golblum, and Smith's son. Maybe Emmerich can bring on John Cusack too, and Dennis Quaid as a distant relative of Randy's character. Fun times.

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Greenlit. Greenlighted. Whatever. Anyway, they're aiming for 2016 now:

Casting will begin after they lock Emmerich, and I’m told by Fox insiders they will be making a single film. There had been speculation we might see two films shot back to back, but Fox has only green lit one. Carter Blanchard rewrote the first draft of the script that was done by Emmerich and Dean Devlin, and then James Vanderbilt. Emmerich is producing with Devlin and Harald Kloser. The green light means that Fox, Emmerich and Devlin can release the film for July 4 weekend, 2016, marking the 20th anniversary of the 1996 original that grossed $811 million worldwide.
Edited by NBooth

So... the original film killed the president's wife... which many people at the time interpreted as a dig against Hillary Clinton... and now the sequel will be coming out in the year that Hillary Clinton is assumed to be running for president herself. Could be... interesting.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So serious, so humourless, considering the trailer revolves around that hilarious presidential speech. (Well, it certainly made everyone laugh in the theatre when *I* saw the first film 19 years ago...)

Agreed. The original was as big, dumb, and loud as it gets, but from the one-liners and hamming it up, the film knew it. Based on the trailer, the sequel seems to think that darker and grittier is better. Sure, you have to raise the stakes for the sequel, but does it need to be so grim-dark?

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

6 hours ago, opus said:

Agreed. The original was as big, dumb, and loud as it gets, but from the one-liners and hamming it up, the film knew it. Based on the trailer, the sequel seems to think that darker and grittier is better. Sure, you have to raise the stakes for the sequel, but does it need to be so grim-dark?

But that just seems to be the direction Hollywood goes these days. Daniel Craig's Bond is darker than previous incarnations, Ronald D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica was a lot darker than the original film/series, Christopher Nolan's Batman is a far cry from the Adam West series (the 1980s/1990s Batman movies were dark too, but I think Nolan's makes them darker and grittier), etc...

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

• 4 months later...

I thought that "they like to get the landmarks" was kind of a fun quip.