Sign in to follow this  
Justin Hanvey

Dealing With Head-On Collisions by Garry Hanvey

Wasn't sure where to put this, as it's sort of a personal thread.

My father wrote a book, a few years after my mother and sister died in a car wreck, about his grief and the things God showed him through the tragedy.

It's the only book he ever wrote, and I've always wanted to get it out to a wider audience.

I had this idea that I would epublish it, on Amazon, this April 8, which is the anniversary of his death 10 years ago.

I was wondering if there are any pointers about how to epublish, and also more personally if any of the reviewers, authors, or screenwriters on this forum would like to read it and provide a review or endorsement that I could blurb on the Amazon page.

this is a pretty huge thing to me, and hoping it all works out.

thanks.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

Joel   

I think you should seriously consider finding a publisher to release this on a wider scale. I haven't finished the whole thing yet, but the way you've presented it makes it a remarkable book. I think I know some publishers you might consider, if you're interested.

Did anyone ever read A Grace Disguised by Jerry Sittser? It's also about a car accident in which he lost his wife, daughter, and mother. He's a professor at Whitworth in Spokane.

Somebody move this thread to the "Literature" forum!

Edited by Joel

Joel, thanks for taking up the torch for my dad's book.

Anyways, definitely would love to publish it again in hard copy. I have never queried a book in my life so i'd have no idea how to go about it.

But in a purely selfish way, I kinda do hope it takes off and that I can find a publisher and agent that I can write so much of the fiction running around inside my head for too.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

Joel   

Send me a pm or email if you want to discuss. Not saying I'm super connected, but I have a few ideas. Since it would be a reprint and not a new book per se, the route could be a little different.

Somebody move this thread to the "literature" forum!

Joel   

Because you didn't put it in the literature forum! :)

Well, I didn't think it would be appropriate since it's a book by my Dad. I didn't want to look like I was shamelessly plugging. If someone else wants to they can hehe

I think we've discussed this in other threads before, but my sense is that the 'Literature & Creative Writing' forum is generally for discussing other people's works, and the 'Work in Progress' forum is for discussing our own stuff -- similar to the distinction we make between our regular 'Film' forum and our 'Filmmakers' forum. There are always overlaps though (e.g. Sinister is in the 'Film' forum even though its auteur is "one of us").

Joel   

Well, my take is that (although I think he should find a publisher, hint hint) this is a book that can be discussed as a book. It's not a work in progress, but was published years ago and was republished recently, and has a connection to one of our members. I made a thread for my own book when it came out, and we have threads for Sara Zarr's books, so I think it's OK!

Justin Hanvey wrote:

: Does it count as my own WIP, when my dad mostly wrote it. (To be fair I did add annotations and a new Afterword).

I'd say re-title the thread so that it actually bears the title of the book.

Joel   

Just finished this book -- I told Justin this but I just find the whole story behind the book and Justin's re-presenting it to be pretty amazing. It's a quick read, but there's a ton to digest -- and like I said above, I think in the right hands this could see a wider audience. I'll try to stop waving that flag, but until then, it's definitely worth taking a look!

Thanks for the thoughts Joel! I don't now if you Facebook, but I set up a page for the book and everything. Hoping to get more people talking about it there.

hey cool, thanks Rushmore. I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts.

Also Joel and Rushmore, would you mind reviewing it on Amazon? I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

Justin: I met your Dad and Mom when you were a baby living in Pasadena,  Tx.  Your Dad was a great man and he really encouraged me in my walk with God. I never knew he wrote this book. I need to get a copy.  I lost touch with him when yall moved from Texas.  I so enjoyed hearing him sing and lead in worship!  He blessed my life! He met with me a few times for kind of a one on one discipleship.   I met your mom just before the accident.  I know you gave your Dad hope to go on after the accident.  I feel I know you even thought I don't.   Hope you are doing well! Jimmy Jones.