Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Fritz Lang

So I'm looking to dig deeper in to Lang's cinema (particularly his Hollywood films).

I already posed the question on FB and Nathaniel recommended Lotte Eisner's FRITZ LANG and Bogdanovich's FRITZ LANG IN AMERICA. Are there any other books A&Fers might recommend?

This question doesn't pertain to books on Lang's work, but this thread seemed like an appropriate place to ask.

I was introduced to Lang a few months ago, and I have been absolutely mesmerized by the three Lang films I've seen: The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, M, and The Big Heat. Besides Metropolis, what other Lang films are absolute must sees for anyone who admires his work? I will try to track down as many as I can, but are there any specific titles I should watch out for?

This question doesn't pertain to books on Lang's work, but this thread seemed like an appropriate place to ask.

I was introduced to Lang a few months ago, and I have been absolutely mesmerized by the three Lang films I've seen: The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, M, and The Big Heat. Besides Metropolis, what other Lang films are absolute must sees for anyone who admires his work? I will try to track down as many as I can, but are there any specific titles I should watch out for?

THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW and SCARLET STREET are essential.

Definitely check out Ministry of Fear. It's the most Hitchcock-like of Lang's thrillers, but the paranoid atmosphere is uniquely his. I also have a lot of admiration for Clash by Night, with its seedy seaside setting, raw performances, and blistering Clifford Odets script.

Definitely check out Ministry of Fear. It's the most Hitchcock-like of Lang's thrillers, but the paranoid atmosphere is uniquely his. I also have a lot of admiration for Clash by Night, with its seedy seaside setting, raw performances, and blistering Clifford Odets script.

I just saw MINISTRY for the first time (the Criterion release is quite nice) and really dug it.

On 4/28/2013 at 2:31 PM, Ryan H. said:

So I'm looking to dig deeper in to Lang's cinema (particularly his Hollywood films).

I already posed the question on FB and Nathaniel recommended Lotte Eisner's FRITZ LANG and Bogdanovich's FRITZ LANG IN AMERICA. Are there any other books A&Fers might recommend?

I have an unread book in my hands that discusses all of Lang's film history, it's from an academic library so some Intro To Film teacher probably liked it.

The Cinema of Fritz Lang, copyright 1969 by Paul M. Jensen, 223p The International film guide series.

Fury (1936) is a Hollywood Lang film not mentioned yet that I only intend to see so cannot comment but it generally has positive reviews. Starring Sylvia Sidney & Spencer Tracy. Funny that Brad Pitt has an unrelated movie coming next month titled the same. A&F link Fury (2014)

I saw The Testament of Dr Mabuse last night. Unexpectedly great. Styled somewhere between Metropolis and M but no less awesome than either one.

Edited by Mike_tn
removed three blank photo spots

On 6/17/2013 at 9:44 PM, Nathaniel said:

...I also have a lot of admiration for Clash by Night, with its seedy seaside setting, raw performances, and blistering Clifford Odets script.

Yes!  The triangle with Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Ryan & Paul Douglas . Very memorable arrangement and performances between those three. Enjoyable to see Marilyn Monroe with a supporting role as well. It was a surprise this month to have stumbled across two used DVDs of early 50s noir, 1951-52, Clash by Night (Lang) and Detective Story (Wyler). Unexpected treats. And that's couple of good years in film to explore too.