Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Deadline:

The sweater wearing children’s TV icon Fred Rogers is the subject of A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, an Alexis Jolly spec script that has sold to Justin Nappi and Kevin Turen’s Treehouse Pictures. Nappi and Turen will produce with Treehouse’s Juliet Berman co-producing. Specific details on the storyline are being kept under wraps. Jolly has been a staff writer on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and pitched the idea to his APA agents, who helped it find a home at Treehouse.

It'll never happen, but I nominate Aki Kaurismaki to direct. He knows how to make kindness and gentleness interesting, and that's what this movie would need.

This story also gives me a place to post this PBS ad:

And why not? I'll re-post that "Garden of Your Mind" remix, too.

Edited by Tyler

What you do not understand, as the article does not reveal this is that it is a dark comedy about a bunch of inept kdnappers who hold Mr. Rogers hostage and he violently (but comedically) dispatches of his kidnappers.

(okay, entirely-hopefully-not true)

Just got an e-mail announcing that Affirm Films, the "faith-based" division of Sony (they're the ones behind RisenThe StarPaul Apostle of Christ, the last few Kendricks Brothers movies including Overcomer, etc.), is partnering with Sony's secular division on this film. Interesting...

My interview with Tom Junod, whose 1998 Esquire magazine article 'Can You Say... Hero?' was the basis for the film (and a fictionalized version of whom is played in the film by Matthew Rhys): https://www.patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/2019/11/exclusive-mister-rogers-chronicler-tom-junod-on-prayer-minutes-of-silence-and-seeing-a-fictionalized-version-of-his-relationship-with-fred-rogers-in-a-beautiful-day-in-the-neighborhood.html

Jessica and I loved this film.  Looking at Joel's review, I see that we both were deeply moved by the same scene in the Pittsburgh restaurant, one of the best movie moments of the year for me.  More than last year's documentary, for me anyway, Fred Rogers' particular type of goodness feels attainable rather than otherworldly in Heller's film.  I was especially moved by his wife Joanne's comments about Fred's practices and discipline, the hard work of making virtue a habit.

My full review: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/2019/11/its-a-beautiful-day-at-the-cinema/