When Philip Yancey made a passing reference to this TV production in his 1995 book The Jesus I Never Knew, it was virtually impossible to find, though I did eventually connect with one person via e-mail who sent me a VHS copy in the mail a few years later. And nowadays? Just type the title into YouTube and away you go:

Note, incidentally, that Pontius Pilate is played here by Robert Hardy, who played Siegfried Farnon in All Creatures Great and Small and Cornelius Fudge in the Harry Potter movies. And Peter is played by Brian Blessed, which is rather apt.

Side note: As it happens, I interviewed Yancey when he taught a course based on his book at Regent College, and he mentioned that he was using clips from The Last Temptation of Christ etc. because they challenged our ways of thinking about the gospels, and he *wasn't* using clips from the Campus Crusade Jesus film because they were pretty boring and didn't really show us anything that we couldn't have gotten from reading the gospels. And then, a few years later, Yancey released a video study guide based on this book... and it used clips from the Campus Crusade Jesus film and not from The Last Temptation. I'm assuming his publishers forced that choice on him.

The video study guide did include one or two clips from Son of Man, though!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.