Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Men in Black: International (2019)

Link to our thread on Men in Black 3 (2012).

- - -

Oren Uziel to Write 'Men in Black 4,' '21 Jump Street' Sequel for Sony (Exclusive)

Sony Pictures has quietly started development on a new chapter in the "Men in Black" franchise, tapping Oren Uziel ("The Kitchen Sink") to write "Men in Black 4," TheWrap has learned. . . .

"Men in Black 3," which found Josh Brolin and Emma Thompson joining original stars Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, grossed $625 million worldwide last summer and was the highest-grossing film in the franchise. . . .

TheWrap.com, May 3

Wonder if they are going to keep making these until they find a way to eventually hand over the reins to Jaden.

Thread needs to be retitled.

I really have zero interest in seeing MIB: INTERNATIONAL. But I am curious to hear from anyone who sees the film confirm whether or not it follows the typical cliché that if someone tells you to “Trust no one”, it’s probably a good idea to start with the person who just said that. 

Edited by John Drew

9 hours ago, John Drew said:

Thread needs to be retitled.

I really have zero interest in seeing MIB: INTERNATIONAL. But I am curious to hear from anyone who sees the film confirm whether or not it follows the typical cliché that if someone tells you to “Trust no one”, it’s probably a good idea to start with the person who just said that. 

I went to the press screening as a midweek, get-out-of-the-house diversion. I was completely and utterly bored. The only 1/2 way interesting story line is both introduced and resolved before the credits and that just leaves a lot of action scenes and jokes that don't land. I tend to like both Hemsworth and Thompson, but not much chemistry there.

As to John's question,...without spoilers, I'll say it was pretty obvious who the traitor was. (In a film like this one, much like an episode of Murder, She Wrote, the identity of the culprit is a somewhat easy process of eliminating who you know it can't be (Tessa Thompson, Hemsworth, Emma Thompson, and the obvious scapegoat rival). 

But, as an aside, my guest said the film was *exactly* what he anticipated it would be based on previous installments and trailer and therefore enjoyed it as a mindless diversion.

I am planning on bringing a seminary class to a movie theater to discuss the experience of the "liturgy of movies" (i.e. how going to the cinema is akin to a religious ritual) and wanted to pick a new release blockbuster or popular film. This was my first pick based on what was releasing this month...but after the really poor reviews I'm starting to reconsider. I think there might be merit in bringing a class to discuss how a film *doesn't* work or what makes for a truly "bad" film, but I'm also not sure I want to waste our class time on dreck.

Any ideas on films I should consider? Or is MIB:Intl worth discussing?

44 minutes ago, Joel Mayward said:

I am planning on bringing a seminary class to a movie theater to discuss the experience of the "liturgy of movies" (i.e. how going to the cinema is akin to a religious ritual) and wanted to pick a new release blockbuster or popular film. This was my first pick based on what was releasing this month...but after the really poor reviews I'm starting to reconsider. I think there might be merit in bringing a class to discuss how a film *doesn't* work or what makes for a truly "bad" film, but I'm also not sure I want to waste our class time on dreck.

Joel, I don't see it until Monday, but I've heard early raves about Toy Story 4.

If you need something that is already out, Rocketman would, I assume, allow for some discussion of the performance as liturgy since concerts also serve the same function. Godzilla also has formulaic elements and relies heavily on nostalgia.

So if you’ve never seen a movie before you might avoid guessing the entire plot within the first five minutes. The flick goes down smoothly enough; I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have fun. But it’s kind of rubbish and mostly just made me miss The Middleman. 

22 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Godzilla also has formulaic elements and relies heavily on nostalgia.

I'm now leaning towards Godzilla: King of the Monsters for my purposes. It's also an ongoing franchise--much more history than MIB--and this new film has sparked enough critics saying it's a "religious" film to merit consideration. And I kinda loved it. But I don't want to derail this MIB thread with Godzilla praise.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:56 AM, NBooth said:

So if you’ve never seen a movie before you might avoid guessing the entire plot within the first five minutes. The flick goes down smoothly enough; I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have fun. But it’s kind of rubbish and mostly just made me miss The Middleman. 

NBooth has accurately summed up my experience with MiB:International. It was diverting, and the theater was nicely air-conditioned :)

On 6/14/2019 at 10:52 AM, Joel Mayward said:

I don't know what your timeline is, but the Yesterday trailers look good.

On 6/15/2019 at 7:23 AM, Joel Mayward said:

I'm now leaning towards Godzilla: King of the Monsters for my purposes.

Final decision: just discovered that Amazing Grace is playing at a local theater at the perfect time slot. Sorry mediocre summer blockbusters, this seminary class is going to go see Aretha.

Turning this back to MiB for a second, I enjoyed Matt Lynch's take on Letterbox'd more than the movie itself:

https://letterboxd.com/colonelmortimer/film/men-in-black-international/

It's endlessly interesting to me that this series that insists on performing toward the awe, wonder, and endless possibilities of the universe instead centers on a vast, impenetrable government bureaucracy with infinite technological resources that would doubtlessly enrich the lives of billions if not many more yet is devoted to ensuring that everyone and everything remains in its place

I like this not necessarily for the jab at government but because it points out how devoid of imagination are so many movies today. Think of all the directions this could go and yet we get warmed over action scenes and "who is the mole" plot structure.

John Drew wrote:
: I really have zero interest in seeing MIB: INTERNATIONAL. But I am curious to hear from anyone who sees the film confirm whether or not it follows the typical cliché that if someone tells you to “Trust no one”, it’s probably a good idea to start with the person who just said that. 

I'm not sure that line is in the film, actually... Incidentally, where did that cliche start? Did it exist onscreen before Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)?