Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Rebels

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI, Episode VII and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars and the various rumoured TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series) and spin-off movies.

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie?' (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), 'Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010).

It was announced today that Disney will start airing a new series called Star Wars: Rebels in 2014; the series will be set between Episodes III and IV.

So... will there be no lightsabres in this series, then? (Except for the ones wielded by the two Sith lords, that is.) All the Jedi are dead, except for Obi-Wan and Yoda, both of whom have already retired to the planets where we find them in Episodes IV and V, right? Or are we going to see episodes in which Obi-Wan and Yoda *leave* those planets and then go *back* again?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

NBooth   

Well, "all the Jedi" "are dead." There's also only ever two Sith, except when they're just Dark Side Users (Ventress) or super robots who can use lightsabers but aren't Force-sensitive (Grevious). And there's the fact that the EU is (at least, by my understanding--which is admittedly limited) notoriously bad at holding to the idea that the Jedi were really extinct. Nice as it would be for non-Force-users to hold down the series, I can't imagine they'll really stick with the concept.

EDIT: Wookiepedia lists a whopping 56 survivors of the Jedi Purge, including Yoda and Kenobi.

Edited by NBooth

NBooth wrote:

: And there's the fact that the EU is (at least, by my understanding--which is admittedly limited) notoriously bad at holding to the idea that the Jedi were really extinct.

Well, the EU is apocryphal, no? I mean, I know Lucasfilm has *said* that all the stories out there are consistent with each other, but I don't think Lucas was exactly paying attention to the EU when he made the prequel trilogy. (Of course, Lucas doesn't exactly pay attention to his own films when he revises them, either...)

Speaking of which, are cartoon shows like this considered "canon" or EU?

NBooth   

I think Lucas' approach was "if I want it, I'll take it." Thus the name Coruscant and the character of Aayla Secura found themselves in the movies while Jorus C'Baoth didn't. Then again--Ventress did migrate from the EU into the Clone Wars, didn't she? So if Clone Wars is "canon" then it represents still more borrowing from the EU....

Of course, Lucas doesn't get to determine "canon" anymore, right? It's up to Disney, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take an "everything is canon" approach (I'm assuming they own the rights to the book lines as well).

NBooth wrote:

: Of course, Lucas doesn't get to determine "canon" anymore, right? It's up to Disney, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take an "everything is canon" approach (I'm assuming they own the rights to the book lines as well).

Hmmm. Well, Roddenberry never owned Star Trek, and that franchise has gone through so many producers that I'm not sure the studio has an opinion one way or the other -- but among the *fans*, at least, there is a consensus that anything which happens in an officially-produced film or TV show is "canon", and everything else -- comics, novels, etc. -- is "apocrypha". (I think even the animated series is considered "canon", partly because it did have many of the same writers and actors that the live-action series had. Or maybe it's in some grey area *between* "canon" and "apocrypha".)

NBooth   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX1uCXVg9ug

Introducing the Inquisitor.

Edited by NBooth

NBooth   

But not the Grand Inquisitor. That would be worth paying attention to.

And now I'll never be able to read that without hearing Ian McDiarmid:

The great conquerors, Adases and Marka Ragnoses, whirled like hurricanes over the face of the systems striving to subdue their peoples, and they too were but the unconscious expression of the same craving for universal unity. Hadst Thou taken the world and Caesar's purple, Thou wouldst have founded the universal state and have given universal peace. For who can rule men if not he who holds their conscience and their bread in his hands? We have taken the sword of Contispex, and in taking it, of course, have rejected Thee and followed him. Oh, ages are yet to come of the confusion of free thought, of their science and cannibalism. For having begun to build their tower of Babel without us, they will end, of course, with cannibalism. But then the beast will crawl to us and lick our feet and spatter them with tears of blood. And we shall sit upon the beast and raise the cup, and on it will be written, "Mystery."  And then...we will have peace.

500full.jpg

NBooth   

For all the stuff going on here, does this feel particularly--non-exciting--to anyone else? Even the voice-actors seem bored.

Edited by NBooth

Yeah, it's dull. But it took a bit for CLONE WARS to find its feet (after it did it was great), so maybe this will get better.

Edited by Ryan H.

So what does it mean that Thrawn exists, if *none* of the stories we have seen with him so far are canon any more?

(Refresh my memory, when does this series take place? The Thrawn books took place only five years after the events of Return of the Jedi, and Thrawn died in those stories.) (Oh, but I see that Wookieepedia says he left behind several clones of himself. Hmmm. Has anyone in the *films* ever been cloned aside from Jango Fett?)

This series bridges the PT and OT. It has turned out to be a worthy successor to CLONE WARS. 

This is essentially just re-establishing Thrawn in the new canon. I'll be curious to see how it works out, since, so far, they've done well with making the show's "fan service" elements compelling on their own terms.