Sign in to follow this  
NBooth

Under the Dome

NBooth   

I could have sworn we had a thread on this, but the only thing that comes up when I search is our thread for The Stand. So I guess I'll start one and wait for my ahem.

Has anyone watched the pilot? I managed to catch it on Amazon streaming last night and--well, it's alright. I'm not totally sold on it--the format seemed wonky, with everything building up but not paying off within the episode itself (to be expected of a pilot, but I also expect a little tension-and-release within the episode). So far, no real thoughts--except that, forget The Killing, Under the Dome is the real contender for "heir to Twin Peaks": a small town of characters living essentially soap operatic lives who are confronted with an unexplainable, possibly supernatural or science-fictional, break in their reality? The good thing is that--unlike Happy Town--this show doesn't push the quirkiness too far, doesn't try too hard to be Twin Peaks; it just mines some of the same territory to similar effect.

I'll have to give it a couple of episodes to see how I like it, though.

Tyler   

You're right about the pilot--it practically all set up, with not much beyond that. Most of the characters didn't really click for me, either, but it's early for them, as well. The scenes where the dome comes down were quite effective, though, particularly the cow getting sliced in half and the glimpses of people outside the dome are interesting.

I'll probably stick with it, because the central mystery is intriguing, and since there isn't much else on until Breaking Bad comes back.

I know King first started writing Under the Dome a long time ago, but today, it kind of feels like a rehash of The Simpsons Movie.

simpsons-movie-dome-1.jpg

Attica   

I haven't read the book yet. So I'm just wondering if watching this would ruin my experience of the book. Because Stephen King's books are usually MUCH better than the movies or T.V. made from them.

I haven't watched the first episode, but noticed that Amazon is already taking pre-orders for the DVD/Blu-ray set - a limited edition set includes this, which I wouldn't mind adding to my small collection of weird snow-globes...

12664a.jpg

opus   

FWIW, "The Fish-Eat-Fish World of CBS’s 'Under the Dome'":

Under the Dome's basic premise is delightfully and devastatingly simple. One day, in the apparently quiet New England hamlet of Chester’s Mill, a massive transparent dome appears out of nowhere, sealing the town off from the outside world. The people trapped inside can see out, and those outside can see in, but no sound can cross over, nor can any force of impact make a dent in the seemingly electrified barrier. The town can only hunker down, trying to make the most of limited resource and care for those wounded after the dome’s appearance. Meanwhile, on the other side, the military quickly begins quarantining the region. Of course, Chester’s Mill is not the sleepy, simple town it appears, either; it is filled with people (residents and sojourners) who harbor secrets aplenty.

Tyler   

I haven't watched the first episode, but noticed that Amazon is already taking pre-orders for the DVD/Blu-ray set - a limited edition set includes this, which I wouldn't mind adding to my small collection of weird snow-globes...

12664a.jpg

Don't think that bloody handprint is to scale. It looks as tall as the church.

I haven't read the book yet. So I'm just wondering if watching this would ruin my experience of the book. Because Stephen King's books are usually MUCH better than the movies or T.V. made from them.

I haven't read the book either, but I've heard that even with only the pilot as evidence, the show is doing its own thing. That could be good or bad. Anyway, I liked the pilot; it wasn't a rip-roaring start, but I'm certainly interested to see where it's going.

Attica   

I haven't read the book either, but I've heard that even with only the pilot as evidence, the show is doing its own thing. That could be good or bad. Anyway, I liked the pilot; it wasn't a rip-roaring start, but I'm certainly interested to see where it's going.

If its doing its own thing then I'll probably dig into it. Maybe its kind of like the mini series for the Stand. That show probably wouldn't really ruin the book. It's just that much different

Edited by Attica

Pilot (rebroadcast last night) was a bit better than average, enough so that we'll probably watch the new episode tonight.

My wife wanted to sleep, couldn't stay up. We had one TV, in our room. She said I could watch while she drifted off, but after about 10 minutes of last night's episode, I threw in the towel. This is the kind of show I'll watch with her, but probably not so much on my own.

BethR   

I can't explain why I just can't watch this. Maybe it's the cow. Maybe because it feels like a giant submarine story (on land). I believe that after Das Boot and The Hunt for Red October, I've seen all the submarine stories I'll ever need to see. Sue me.

Tyler   

The cow is literally the best part of the series so far. The central mystery is still kind of intriguing, but everything else is just hard to watch. I might switch to Siberia, which is also bad, but in a more entertaining way.

NBooth   

I actually re-watched the first episode the other day, thinking I needed more small-town tv in my life (because of course I do). I had literally no memory of having watched it before much less of having liked it.

I still liked it, well enough.