Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Y'know, I could deal with a dour Superman. I could hang with a washed-out Wonder Woman. But, weirdly, this look at Aquaman--the character with whom I'm the least familiar--rubs me the wrong way. It's tempting, I'm sure, to find a way to make the most-useless-superhero-ever into a brooding, serious character, but--eh. It just doesn't work for me.

Turns out Lex in this movie will look like a bald Jesse Eisenberg. Who knew.

Here's Snyder in that article:

“He’s not any of the Lexes that you’ve seen, that’s for sure,” says Snyder, “other than him being a captain of industry and one person to the world and another person to himself. And bald, of course.”

--which tells us exactly nothing. Especially since the stuff Snyder says isn't particularly true of other movie Luthors, anyway.

And apparently NOTHING in this film will be in color.

io9 has the first glimpse of the trailer. Hopefully the colors will be a little brighter once the official release comes out, but probably not much.

You know, I'm cool with DC going for gritty superheros, since the MCU has pretty much cornered the market on lighthearted--or, at least, not-grim--superheros. And I dig the idea that Superman might be feared rather than loved on his initial appearance. So none of the grimness in the trailer fills me with particular trepidation. At the same time, it's not a particularly thrilling trailer. It's...eh, fine? But it feels a little bit too close to Watchmen in some way that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps it's the fact that Batman seems to have gone full Rorschach. 

Also, no Wonder Woman in sight. No Aquaman.  

Batman v Superman: More Darkness. (Lego the reader understand.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXrBPPsMfFU

So does anyone have the over-under on number of cities that get totally destroyed in this film?

If they're smart, none; the destruction in MoS should still have emotional heft for the characters.

I'm putting my odds on two, though.

If they're smart, none; the destruction in MoS should still have emotional heft for the characters.

I'm putting my odds on two, though.

I saw some "examine the trailer" site video that claimed it looked like the statue of Superman (with the "False God" sign on it) was actually a "ground zero" type memorial at the site of where Zod did something or other in the last movie.

First response: The moment I heard that voice, my heart sank, and I said, "No... no, Zach Snyder... you don't get to have Holly Hunter. Not for this."

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that movie looks interesting. But I kinda liked, not loved, MAN OF STEEL, at least better than most of the Marvel films so that alone makes me in the minority.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that movie looks interesting. But I kinda liked, not loved, MAN OF STEEL, at least better than most of the Marvel films so that alone makes me in the minority.

I'm roughly right there with you. MoS was deeply, deeply disappointing in the last hour or so, but the first part was enjoyable--and, yeah, I'd rather watch it than most of the Marvel stuff. This? No idea, but I'm attracted the possibility that Superman isn't embraced with open arms.

Snyder's great skill as a filmmaker is the creation of money shots, and that trailer is full of 'em.

But this film really seems to double-down on the political allegory stuff and the one thing that this so-called "golden age" of superhero films has demonstrated is that superheroes are generally poor vehicles for that sort of thing.

Also, I'm not sure what Eisenberg is doing.

I'm roughly right there with you. MoS was deeply, deeply disappointing in the last hour or so, but the first part was enjoyable--and, yeah, I'd rather watch it than most of the Marvel stuff. This? No idea, but I'm attracted the possibility that Superman isn't embraced with open arms.

I'm of the exact same opinion of the Man of Steel.  The issue for me was that the trailers for that film were completely compelling to me, but they were in the service of a film that I ultimately found to be aggravating.

This time around I find the trailer to be interesting, but not as compelling, so what does that mean......

Details -- some of which were leaked before, I believe (I haven't checked earlier posts in this thread yet):

“We are playing him 45 or 46,” director Zack Snyder confirms. “He has been Batman for 20 years. All the history is there. Was there a Robin at one time? Possibly. We want to assume that Batman has reached this point in his life and career as a superhero, and Superman represents a sort of philosophical change. He is a paradigm shift for Batman: ‘I’ve been fighting criminals all my life, trying to find justice, and now I am confronted with a concept that is transcendent to me.’ In the face of Superman, a man robbing a bank doesn’t matter. He’s having a crisis of conscience. ‘Am I really just a vigilante who stalks the alleys of Gotham?’ It is rich stuff that he deals with. Ben does an amazing job.”

The rage that has (to paraphrase a famous butler) turned this good man cruel is partly fueled by the many loved ones and heroes he has seen zipped into body bags during his two-decade tenure.

“He has lost those near and dear to him, and not necessarily from old age or disease…” said producer Charles Roven of the state of Batman’s world, which could entail not just the death of Robin but also his friend and Gotham PD ally Jim Gordon. . . .

Another big revelation relates to Batman’s appearance in the recent Suicide Squad trailer, which is now confirmed as a prelude to the events of that film in which the Caped Crusader captures The Joker’s right-hand woman Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie). Indeed, Batman is responsible for putting all the anti-heroes of Task Force X in Belle Reve Penitentiary for Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) to do as she pleases. . . .

Indeed, the characters within the DC Extended Universe don’t necessarily reflect the black & white “good guy/bad guy” paradigm of the Marvel movies, with Affleck’s Batman essentially the antagonist of Batman v Superman… depending on your own idea of what makes a hero, that is.

“It’s a point of view thing,” opines Snyder. “That is why ‘Dawn of Justice’ is the full title. What it does is allow us to start this conversation.” . . .

The designer also reveals that Clark Kent and Lois Lane (Amy Adams) have shacked up together in a Metropolis apartment of their own, while all of Lex Luthor’s (Jesse Eisenberg) dwelling was shot in a Detroit museum. 

“There are other things happening too,” says Tatopoulos. “Gotham is a very different city from Metropolis. Metropolis is Toronto on Steroids. Gotham is Detroit.”

Michael Shannon:

I was in my costume, and I couldn’t use my fingers because in the sequel I have flippers instead of hands.

SPYStromberg.jpg

So you know how the plot of Man of Steel was essentially the same land-grab scheme that had already been used in three previous Superman movies? This is looking like they're taking a page from Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

To be honest, I'm still not quite as down on all of this as some folks seem to be. It still looks more interesting than most of the Marvel stuff *ducks*.

The biggest problem is the jokey tone of the trailer doesn't match with the darker, dare I say "grittier," palette.