Believe Me

Peter T Chattaway

'Chronicle's' Alex Russell to Star in Indie Film 'Believe Me' (Exclusive)

Alex Russell, who recently starred in Chronicle for 20th Century Fox, is toplining the feature film Believe Me for Riot Studios.

The film from director Will Bakke also stars Zachary Knighton from the Happy Endings TV show; Johanna Braddy from Easy A; Max Adler of Glee; and hip-hop artist Lecrae. The movie has begun shooting.

Riot Studios is a Texas-based company that has produced documentaries. With the feel-good comedy, Believe Me, it is making its first foray into feature films. In the movie, Russell plays a charismatic college kid who recruits his roommates in a scheme that uses a phony charity to bilk gullible churchgoers out of their money.

Bakke also co-wrote the film. He tackled a similar topic with the documentary, Beware of Christians, which was distributed with money raised from a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign.

Riot makes pro-Christian films and was founded in 2010 by Bakke, Alex Carroll and Michael Allen. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, August 7

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 10 months later...

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1KiJDrxQX0

Interview with writer/director Will Bakke.

These three answers stood out to me the most:

TheBlaze: What was your motivation behind making “Believe Me?”

Bakke: Simply put, my motivation was to tell a good story. We wanted to see what would happen if four outsiders got thrown into today’s Christian culture. On film, it’s easy to paint religion from extreme ends of the spectrum. And while faith is usually taken pretty seriously, there are a lot of funny things that believers of all religions do. We wanted to hold up a mirror to those funny things.

TheBlaze: Will you be marketing to Christians and people of faith? If so, how will they react to the plot?

Bakke: Of course! The Christian demographic is huge, and recent religious films like “God’s Not Dead,” “Heaven is For Real” and “Noah” have outperformed box office expectations because of their religious fan bases. But to be clear, “Believe Me” is not a Christian movie. Christianity is the backdrop to the story, but there’s no hidden agenda or altar call at the end of it.

TheBlaze: What are the film’s strongest messages?

Bakke: The movie raises a lot of questions about the power of platforms. Why believe somebody just because he’s on stage wearing a mic? It’s intellectually irresponsible to take someone at their word without investigating their claims, and Christians are just as much at fault of that as anyone else. So the question, “Why do you believe what you believe?” certainly comes into play here.

Edited by Josh Hamm

"What's prayer? It's shooting shafts in the dark." -- Frederick Buechner, Godric

• 1 month later...

A film critic for the Miami Herald recently got an odd message about Believe Me:

We want to pay you to write about the upcoming release of BELIEVE ME. We’ll supply you with a unique link to use in your article and on social media that directs people to the film’s homepage and pays you $0.10 each time one of your readers clicks it.

How does it work?

Click here: team.believe.com and enter your email to receive your unique link.

After you sign up, you’ll get an email with all instructions on how to track your clicks and eventually cash out your earnings. I have attached the movie’s Press Release and Suggested Interview Questions to assist you in your coverage

Have any of the critics around here received the same message? Is this an approach any other movies have tried?

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Tyler wrote:
: Have any of the critics around here received the same message?

Not as such, in my case, but a press release I got today included this...

...in addition to the new trailer:

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.