Broadchurch

Tyler

Broadchurch is a BBC series about the effect a boy's death has on a small Scottish town. It stars David Tennant and Olivia Colman. Arthur Darvill (Rory on Doctor Who) and Jodie Whittaker (Sam in Attack the Block) have supporting roles.

The series aired in England this Spring, and BBC America has started showing it this month. They put the first episode on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDwKZbBoXM&feature=youtu.be

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 1 month later...

Town's not Scottish, just David Tennant & his character. Show is filmed in a coastal town in Dorset, on the southern coast of England. Bournemouth is a popular beach/tourist town in the area.

Is anyone else watching Broadchurch on BBCA?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 3 weeks later...

Talking to myself here, apparently, but I'll just say that Broadchurch was excellent, and whenever it turns up on DVD and/or whatever streaming option you prefer, you should watch it.

Apparently there will be a second series, "completely different"--possibly not a murder mystery, probably without David Tennant, which certainly takes some of the fun out of it.

And FOX is talking about making an American version. That will turn out well, she typed skeptically.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

And FOX is talking about making an American version. That will turn out well, she typed skeptically.

EW is reporting David Tennant will reprise his role for the American version, so I guess we'll be spared a search for this generation's Paul McGann, at least.

Twitter Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

And finished. Broadchurch excels on just about every level, and it has maybe the best closing moments of a TV show I've ever seen.

Early on in the series, I thought,

"Hey, the actors playing Joe and Nigel look really similar. That's kind of confusing. Why would they choose to do that?"

Yeah...

Twitter Blog

Top of the Lake's tangents, performances, and the world that it creates — they made it so worthwhile for me. Broadchurch is a more cohesive and satisfying narrative, but Top of the Lake hits such highs that I'm grateful for both of them.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Just finished the series, quite enjoyed it. Started it without many expectations ( mainly just to see Who alumni Tennant and Darvill), but it exceeded them rather quickly. It's very well structured, not just in laying out clues and red herrings about the murder, but in how the characters interact with each other, and how the townspeople as a whole react to the situation. There are a couple of underdeveloped threads for some of the characters, but it's the sort of show which you can forgive the little things. And one aspect I appreciate is that once we discover how the murder took place/why it happened, it's so much less convoluted and complicated than we're led to suspect. Sure, it's still rather shocking when we find out who did it, but it's not sensationalized beyond belief. 

Curious and excited to see how they proceed with the second series, especially given that apparently there won't be another murder. It's one of those shows that, despite the focus on the murder mystery, is more about the people surviving the murder than about solving it - or at least that's where my interests lie when I watched it. I have faith that they can produce a great second series that delves deeper into the community, but I do wonder how the narrative will keep on track without an investigation at the centre. I mean, look at Twin Peaks after Laura's killer was brought to light...although even during its descent it was falling with style. Broadchurch has enough unresolved characters to keep it afloat, and honestly I'd watch a whole season focused around Ellie Miller trying to cope with her indictment of Susan Wright via "How did you not know..." now that she's on the receiving end of the same sentiment. Oliver Colman is phenomenal.

"What's prayer? It's shooting shafts in the dark." -- Frederick Buechner, Godric

I wonder if the second season will be more like Southcliffe, where the mystery is solved early on and the show is more about dealing with the aftermath of the crime. From what I've read, though, it will focus on a kidnapping, and might tie in to Alec Hardy's past.

The latest teaser doesn't really spoil anything from season 1, but it also won't make a lot of sense if you haven't watched the first season already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2t9zpuxog

Edited by Tyler

Twitter Blog