Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

IMAGE seeking new web development company--we'd love your help!

Anna J   

So, for the last six years, IMAGE's website imagejournal.org has been hosted with a company called Medium (thisismedium.com). Our bandwidth is hosted there, our web editing is on their proprietary software, and their in-house developers have managed our large edits (small content edits have been by IMAGE staff).

But Medium has closed its doors, so we need a new place to call home.

Unfortunately, we don't have the means right now to start over from scratch and redesign our website entirely, which is too bad, because we'd been hoping to do so this year. So what we need is a new company to take on our hosting, our software, and our development, until we have a chance to launch a redesign.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Have you thought about talking to the folks at Patheos? If they've served Good Letters well, maybe they could become a provider for the whole Image property.

opus   

For starters, I'd avoid hosting anything with GoDaddy, Dreamhost, or HostGator. Yes, they're cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Since your website is currently running on their proprietary software, you'll probably need to see what server requirements that software has, and see if it can run on other systems. That might limit what sort of hosting provider you can use right there. Worst case scenario, you may need to see if there's a way to export the site, probably as a bunch of static HTML, etc. files. However, if that's the case, then you can probably host your site on Amazon S3.

Rushmore   

I'll leave specific recommendations to more knowledgeable folks like opus, but I'll just say steer clear of easy/cheap solutions that don't allow you to keep your own domain name (I love Patheos, but it's surely not what you need). And please, please, please try to keep all the old links working. Linkrot is the bane of the Internet.

Sign in to follow this