Sign in to follow this  
J.A.A. Purves

As I Lay Dying (2013)

(A&F links to Howl (2010), The Broken Tower (2011) and Tar (2012).

Honestly, that trailer doesn't make the film look very appealing.  On the other hand, the reviews I have read so far are saying that they kept much of Faulkner's language in the film (oh, and Danny McBride only really has what is essentially a cameo).

Whatever criticisms can be made of Franco, I can't help admiring his literary ambitions as a director.  Who else is trying to do what he's trying?  Films devoted to Hart Crane, C.K. Williams, William Faulkner, Cormac McCarthy, Charles Bukowski, Stephen Dobyns and others.  I wish more filmmakers were reading like Franco reads.  He's a big enough name now that he can have an influence, and any influence in this direction is a good thing.

This is already streaming on Netflix US. I forgot it had even been released.

Just noticed that, myself. I guess I should get to it. Unlike British Lit, American literature gets so few prestige-or-otherwise adaptations, especially lately.

But seriously. As I Lay Dying ain't the Faulkner to adapt. Sanctuary or Intruder in the Dust--that's where cinematic gold is. Especially Sanctuary. [i know I've said this before, but I'll keep beating the drum until someone listens].

Anyway, I guess I'll catch it this weekend.

...and I spent the whole movie wondering if it would seen as pretentious as it did if Franco wasn't the director. It's like an overly-enthusiastic film school project. The split screens, the camera work, are overly self-conscious. The movie does pick up a bit once they cross the river, but it's a slog for the first hour or so. More later, perhaps.