Canadian Alice Munro wins the Nobel Prize for Literature

So, a Canadian author has finally won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Alice Munro, a Southern Ontario native, has been awarded the prize for 2013. I'm happy for her and for the Canadian literary community.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/alice-munro-is-1st-canadian-woman-to-win-nobel-literature-prize-1.1958383

Apparently, while she is the first Canadian based writer to win, Saul Bellow was born in Canada before moving to the US. I had no idea. I guess you learn something new everyday.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I guess someone who doesn't even write novels counts as literature now. wink.png

Can't wait for Alan Moore to win the prize. ;)

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

I applaud the selection! She's one of my favorite writers (and I have a marked preference for 19th c. and early 20th c. practitioners of her genre).  

I guess someone who doesn't even write novels counts as literature now. wink.png

Poetry will be next. 

I love a collection called The View from Castle Rock which has novelistic properties. 

Edited by Josie

I applaud the selection! She's one of my favorite writers (and I have a marked preference for 19th c. and early 20th c. practitioners of her genre).  

I pretty much agree - her stories may be rather repetitive in theme and setting, but at her best she really is a marvel. On balance I think the Nobel was well deserved. (Although - like you - my measuring standard for the form would be Chekhov, K. Mansfield, et al.)

The article says that she is the first Canadian woman to win.  What about Canadian men?  

Edit:  Ok.  Some other articles say first Canadian in general.

Edited by Attica

Laura Miller's lovely piece on Munro includes this nugget, which many of us who try to convey our enthusiasm about certain artists (filmmakers included, of course) will identify with:

One reason why Munro’s advocates feel obliged to sell her so hard is that this quality is nearly impossible to convey in a review. Instead, the critic finds himself offering up those drab little scenarios that serve as the springboard for Munro’s wizardry and then, feeling the shortcomings of this, uneasily moved to heap on the superlatives and the hosannas. It all sounds suspiciously excessive and indiscriminate, as does most frothing praise.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

The article says that she is the first Canadian woman to win.  What about Canadian men?  

Edit:  Ok.  Some other articles say first Canadian in general.

Yeah, first Canadian in general, unless you count the Canadian-born Saul Bellow.

Twitter.
Letterboxd.