Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Q, From PRI

Here in the "Television and Radio" thread, we talk about TV 99.99% of the time. I've often wanted to launch a radio-related thread, but as much of a longtime radio listener as I am, I don't hear many new programs, and music programming on the radio only gets worse with each passing year.

Today the Washington Post published an article on a Public Radio International program that was just picked up by a local public-radio affiliate here in D.C. The show is "Q," hosted by Jian Ghomeshi. 

Rather than regurgitate what's in the linked article, I thought I'd post here and ask if anyone has listened to this show. From what I read in the article, the show is right up my alley. Yes, I'll explore it online, but I've also noted the time it airs on the local station in my market -- a sign of my age and lingering detachment to listening/watching content when the broadcaster wants me to. (I listen to lots of stuff -- especially public radio stuff -- online, but not everything.)

Q has become a staple of CBC Radio's morning lineup. I don't own a car at the moment and therefore don't spend much time with radio, but I love Ghomeshi's voice and the way he brings a lot of eclectic programming under one roof. The musical guests tend to be stellar.

Edited by Nathan Douglas

I think the show became somewhat famous when Billy Bob Thornton showed up with his band and took offense that the host would even *mention* Billy Bob's movie career. That one lit up YouTube for a few days.

I also recently came across an episode where the host interviewed Mike Leigh (circa the release of, um, the movie about the happily married middle-aged couple), and Leigh alluded to the fact that a previous interview, in which Leigh had apparently gotten a bit testy with the host, had become somewhat popular on YouTube, too.

And, on a more tabloidy note, it is widely assumed that the author of this post was writing about Ghomeshi. When I posted that item to my Facebook wall way back when, I was surprised at how many of my FB friends piped up to say it must be him (and it turned out many people had come to that conclusion in the comments, too, which I hadn't read). Apparently there aren't that many Toronto based media figures who match all the various details.

Oh man, how could that not be him? I'm going to choose not to see him as a creep, but as a hapless dork, which I kind of already did anyway, because Moxy Fruvous. 

I used to listen to Q every day in the car, but I don't drive much anymore. I do love his voice. (And I really like Moxy Fruvous, too.) Oh and I like that he has Torquil Campbell from Stars on as a commentator once in a while.

Edited by Joel

That Post article mentions that Ghomeshi's opening monologue gets cut from the American version, which is a shame. Hopefully, it'll make it in there at some point.

I'm a little reluctant to link to the articles detailing Ghomeshi's firing from the show by the CBC, but figured I should mention the firing here in a thread dedicated to the show.

I still haven't adjusted to the fact that Q airs locally each weeknight. I listen to the radio most nights before drifting off to sleep, but Q is on the opposite end of the dial from the shows I normally listen to at that time.

I suppose it doesn't matter now.

I suppose it doesn't matter now.

Well, Ghomeshi was the star but not necessarily the mastermind behind all programming decisions. Time will tell.

Do you think the show will continue without him? I suppose it might; he likely had guest interviewers when he was away, right? Maybe one of them will take over.

But the show has always seemed uniquely tied to Ghomeshi, as Fresh Air is tied to Terry Gross.

Musician Owen Pallett (he's worked Ghomeshi, Arcade Fire, and the Mountain Goats, among others):

But let’s be clear. Whether the court decides that predatory men are punished or exonerated does not silence the voices of the victims. It does not make victims liars.

Whether our culture continues to celebrate the works of predatory men is another issue. It does not silence the voices of the victims.

Jian Ghomeshi is my friend, and Jian Ghomeshi beats women. How our friendship will continue remains to be seen.

Do you think the show will continue without him? I suppose it might; he likely had guest interviewers when he was away, right? Maybe one of them will take over.

But the show has always seemed uniquely tied to Ghomeshi, as Fresh Air is tied to Terry Gross.

Well...now Q's producer has left the show.

There are comments in the article about CBC's plans to keep it going (citing international partners' interests), but my guess is that you're right. The writing would seem to be on the wall.

I realize "not an Onion story" has been overused, but sometimes it's the only reaction/joke that comes to mind:

CBC Radio says its revamped arts and culture show “Q” has been renamed, sort of.

The new name is the same, but spelled with a lower-case “q.”

By just slightly tweaking the show’s brand the CBC has missed an opportunity to distance itself from the Jian Ghomeshi scandal, says one marketing expert.

“Personally, I think that that’s probably not enough of an effort,” says Brynn Winegard of Winegard & Company.

“What they’re trying to do [i think] is maintain some amount of brand consistency so that they’re not just losing all brand equity, and then at the same time, have it be a little bit different.”

Edited by Christian

If memory serves, Ghomeshi's bosses were also fired from the CBC a few days ago, when the report came in specifying that Ghomeshi had been allowed to create an abusive environment *at work* in addition to whatever he was doing with his private life.

Also of note, the show's new host, Shad, is a rapper from Vancouver, and also a Christian -- I've seen his name pop up at Christian festivals in Western Canada and in the pages of Geez magazine, everyone's favorite vaguely anabaptist, somewhat anarchist Canadian Christian-ish magazine.

Anyone been listening to Shad? I haven't caught much of the show with him as host yet. I like the guy, but it seems pretty clear it will take him a while to get comfortable.

An interested take on the new host from a commentator here:

The Team.

It's all I've been hearing about since Jian Ghomeshi — the disgraced former host of CBC radio's "Q" — was fired after multiple allegations of sexual assault last October.

It was The Team that propped up Ghomeshi, we're told.

The Team that wrote his monologues, researched his interview subjects, tied his shoelaces and refilled his water glass. The Team that made him a success.

And it's The Team that will repeat this magic with Shad, the 32-year-old Vancouver rapper with Kitchener connections who assumed the host's chair this past Monday.

There's just one problem with this CBC-concocted, media-generated fabrication: it's a sham.

I have no doubt The Team is exemplary, so this isn't a knock. But all you had to do was listen to any of Shad's inaugural shows to realize that for Canada's ailing pop culture showcase to succeed, the personable schmoozer with a mandate not to offend is going to need more than a team of seasoned professionals doing the grunt work behind the scenes. He's going to have to step up and seize control.