Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

The Lobster

Get ready for something weird, kids. From Yorgos Lanthimos, the director of Dogtooth and Alps, comes The Lobster:

an unconventional love story set in a dystopian near future where single people, according to the rules of the Town, are arrested and transferred to the Hotel. There they are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days. If they fail, they are transformed into an animal of their choosing and released into the woods. A desperate Man escapes from the Hotel to the Woods where the Loners live and there he falls in love, although it's against their rules.”

It will be an English-language movie, and the cast already includes Zero Dark Thirty’s Jason Clarke, Skyfall’s Ben Whishaw, Broadchurch’s Olivia Colman, and Blue Is The Warmest Color’s Léa Seydoux.

Have to assume this song will be incorporated somehow.

Along with David Foster Wallace's "Consider the Lobster."

Edited by Tyler

Casting update.

Jason Clarke is out; Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz have joined in.

Pity about Clarke. He's too busy Terminating... Weisz is always welcome. 

I hadn't read about this before, but I must say the synopsis is really intriguing and the cast is promising.

Just back from seeing this. Definitely an acquired taste, but right up my street. Black humour very much in the mold of Black Mirror. Excellent cast especially Colin Farrell's deadpan turn as the lead and The always wonderful Olivia Coleman. 

That at said the content is pretty strong, so I can't say I'd recommend it. Not only is it pessimistic,gross and violent, some of the humour is, I would say British, but given the director I should probably go for European.

Matt

Possible Spoiler - I've worded it in the vaguest way possible.  Those who've seen the film will know what I'm referring to.

Caught this last night, and really liked most of the first half.  The second half was good, but it just started to feel a tad bit too long, and not as strong as the first - much like Full Metal Jacket, where the superior section is the boot camp sequences, while the Vietnam sequences never seem to rise to the same level.  Definitely not for all tastes or sensitivities.  I happened to have sat up most of the previous night with my eldest cat as she passed away, and because of that there were certain scenes in The Lobster which were something I could have done without seeing, and may have affected how I dealt with portions of the film.

This was not a comfortable watch by any means.  Lanthimos does everything possible to ensure this:  Shostakovich in the score, opaque characters with blunted affects, weirdness, sudden disturbing violence, etc.  Once I figured out that this was an allegory of contemporary dating and a social comment on us-vs-them lumping, it all made sense.  I liked it a lot, even if I'm not hurrying to see it again.

Here's my full review:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/2016/06/the-lobster-succeeds-as-a-darkly-comedic-allegory-of-modern-dating/